non-intel iMac G5 upgrade to Intel dual core processor

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Vincyman, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Vincyman macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried to upgrade their old iMac G5 with a new Intel core Duo processor? If so how do I go about installing one?

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

It is not possible. I haven't looked at all the details, but I would suspect about the *only* thing that's the same is the screen.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Well, to you and I, yes. However for many computer users the thought of "add s'more!" makes a lot of sense... More RAM != new computer, More HDD space != new computer... So why should more Processor?

OP, non-technically, it simply won't "fit"; They're built different, talk different languages, have different underlaying requirements. Blessed be Apple that makes it look like it was a simple swap-out, because it sure isn't.

6. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Unless you replace the mainboard with a new CPU, RAM, etc I think you might. But the reality is you could just buy a new iMac for not much more.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It would be like putting your brain in a rat's body.

Two completely different animals.

The G5 is designed using a modified version of IBM's server bus, which makes the thing completely insanely complex -- just to bring to a stable clock.

Sort of like working on a jet engine and finding the only tools you have are a hammer and a rock to work with, basically you will be calling in a team of IBM consultants in for $100k/month each to help you turn the thing on.

8. tom2112 macrumors newbie

?

What' silly? I had the same question & I'm finding I'm SOL - S*** out of luck ... sucks 'cause I want to run Flash Player and that other instant messaging app not Yahoo's (???)

Thanks, Tom2112:•) - my mac smily face has a nose: option 8

9. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Really dude?

Reviving an almost five year old thread?

10. tom2112, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

tom2112 macrumors newbie

Excellent analogy -

I purchased Snow Leopard then discovered there's no way to upgrade a G5 to accommodate an Intel core - Wonder why they choose to install such incompatible chips? ... availability? ... cost? ... screw with us???

Hey Sun Baked, I wonder if I'd get an intense craving for cheese and gnawing through sheet rock?

Thanks,

tom2112 :apple:

The G5 is designed using a modified version of IBM's server bus, which makes the thing completely insanely complex -- just to bring to a stable clock.

Sort of like working on a jet engine and finding the only tools you have are a hammer and a rock to work with, basically you will be calling in a team of IBM consultants in for $100k/month each to help you turn the thing on.[/QUOTE]

11. simsaladimbamba

To screw with IBM and give its customers faster Macs, especially mobile ones, since the PPC architecture did not provide proper mobile chips, and x86 did, thus Apple decided to change its CPU architecture, and not for the first time, but for the third time.

Why not look for used Intel Macs on eBay or CL, as some can be had for as much as a new CPU from Intel would cost.

You actually go the QUOTE tag right the first time. Now it is ****ed up.