Non iPad options

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Soura2112, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Im writing this for a friend, she's not into the tech thing like me, and I have an iPad I love, but we all know it can be a pricey present for a brother or dad, etc.

Being I love my iPad I never really looked at the full details of other pads.
    Basically looking for

About 300.00 at most
    16GB (8 maybe)
    3G or 4G
    Basically the same screen size, maybe a bit smaller
    And an app store (I never tried Android, only other good option I heard of)

Thanks for any info.

Oddly writing this on my iPad.

2. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Whatever she gets that is not an ipad, she will always compare to, and wish she had an ipad. Nothing else on the market is the whole package like the iPad is.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

i am sure some people will answer, but i what can we say? we don't know what they intend to do with it.

if they just want email and the web, a kindle fire, blackberry playbook, or an hp touchpad should be fine.

if they are looking for an app store, then maybe a kindle fire or a used ipad transformer?

but, why not just get a used ipad 1?

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Are you kidding me? There has been 2-3 threads on this on the first page!
    really though if you could not be bothered to search or look for the other ones these are your options:
    -blackberry playbook
    -kindle fire
    -various androids
    -various no names
    I suggest getting a refurbished or used iPad 1 as that is truly the best tablet.

5. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

YOu can find a Refurb iPad 16GB Wife for 299. You can get one with 3g for a 399 I believe. You could perhaps find a good conditioned used one as well for around that price.

That is the route I took for my Son's Christmas gift. Found an excellet condition Wifi 16gb iPad with case for $250.

6. urkel macrumors 68030

I sold my Kindle Fire to my brother since he didnt want an iPad and liked the smaller size. But since I still kinda wanted that "spare" tablet for the kids then I picked this up.
    CowBoom: iPad 16GB - $280
    (This is a Best Buy company. There's always the gamble of it being scuffed when you buy preowned but they have a good return policy so I took the gamble.)

Its under $300 and last years model but (IMO) I still would prefer it over a more expensive alternative because I really enjoy living in the iOS ecosystem.

7. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Read or saw other tablets just never considered buying one. Came up with the refurbished idea for iPad 1, but wanted a solid company with a return policy if it did come scuffed or scratched. I suggested just going with the iPad but it's not my money nor my gift, just trying to help a friend. I'm 100% Apple, why I'm always on here.

8. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Unfortunately, as you've no doubt realised, asking this question on here is futile. You'd be better off asking on a non brand specific website. Or actually, any non-Apple / Android forum.

Honestly. A what non iPad thread, with 4 of 5 responses suggesting an iPad. Beggars belief.

9. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Why would you come on an Apple forum and ask for a non Apple product recommendation.
    Do you also walk into KFC and ask them to recommend a good beef burger?

10. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

It would be easier to recommend a non-iPad tablet if 3G or 4G connectivity was not a requirement. There are several decent options that can be found in the $200-$300 range, but these are all wifi only.

I have just done a ton of research after deciding to buy a couple of Android tablets for my kids. If you want 3G, I would just go ahead and get the iPad 2. Without the huge discounts that could be found online (like on the Acer Iconia Tab A500s that I ended buying for the kids), the iPad truly has no competition.

From what I have seen, if you find a decent Android tablet with 3G (along with dual core, 1 GB memory, decent onboard storage) you are going to be so close to the price of the iPad that it is not worth saving the few dollars on something else.

Another point is that you mentioned that your friend is not really into tech - and if that is the case I would definitely recommend the iPad. Even though Android 3.2 Honeycomb is pretty nice, I still view it as more interesting for someone who IS into tech. Its not something I would recommend for my mom or someone who is not into tech. My opinion might change when ICS starts appearing on these tablets - but for right now, with your requirements I would say go for the iPad 2 and don't look back.

----------

While I might not walk into an Apple store and ask them to recommend an iPad alternative, what is wrong with asking for a recommendation for an alternative in an iPad forum? Lets face it, the iPad is the benchmark for tablets - so what is wrong trying to find out if anyone who might have an iPad and a different tablet might be able to recommend an iPad alternative?? :confused:

11. darster Suspended

I'd sell my 16gb wifi ipad 1 with original box for $225 right now.

12. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to the cool guys

Again thanks for the replies...from the cool guys/gals. Why ask here? Simple, a lot of us are tech geeks, I know I am, so I'm looking for some help in a related field. I have personally only know specs of iPads, Im only an iPad guy for good or bad. Plus this is for my friend who doesn't want to give a bad christmas gift, and she's a good friend. IMO this would be a good place to ask tablet people, also I this is my go to site.
    Again thanks to the cool people. I pushed her towards the iPad, but money can be tight during the holidays and it's an expensive gift for a brother or dad, so wanted help give all options.

An iPad 1 one be fine too, if the right one is found in great shape. Just don't want to be blamed for any scratches etc, also a legit dealer. Thanks darster, I think she's wants 3G for on the go, but maybe she will change her mind.

13. peterpotter macrumors newbie

i was in the same situation and i thought exactly what you said..
    so in the end i shelled out that $500 and got an ipad 2.

no regrets here!

14. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Unnecessary and unhelpful. There is no reason why people can't talk about other products when they are in competition with the iPad.

15. Kaenon macrumors regular

Right now over at www.shopblackberry.com , all Blackberry Playbooks (16GB, 32GB, and 64GB) are all $299 with no tax and free shipping. :eek:

I just ordered the 64GB one. Obv.

16. stevelam macrumors 65816

yikes. i have the 16gb playbook. trust me, you do NOT want a playbook. it isn't even remotely close to what an ipad 2 can do, the apps are HORRENDOUS, and there are so many little (and huge) things that appear completely unfinished on this thing.

17. Macman45, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

My next door neighbour has one of the new Tegra Androids. An iPad it's not, but it's well made, has a nice screen, and having played with it for a while is very useable indeed.

Trouble comes when you look through the app prices. For a basic Majong based game he paid (wait for it) £3.49 The type of app we would pay maybe 50p for or USA 30c.

The Tegra he has was under £300.00 but to be honest, over the course of a year adding up the vast amount of money you would spend on apps, you really would be better off with an iPad.

He want's one now, and is going to sell the Acer.

18. Kaenon macrumors regular

The iPad 2 is a little too big for my liking, and I feel as if its just a bigger version of my iPhone 4S. I wanted something different.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Kindle Fire

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus

Blackberry Playbook

20. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Like Siri says, there is only iPad. Do not buy any "tablets" until Windows 8 comes out.

I learned it the hard way.