Non-iPhone AT&T Smartphone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac-mania, Feb 16, 2009.

1. mac-mania macrumors member

Hello all. You've all been very insightful in the past few years when I've had questions so I'm back for more. I have two macs now, an iMac and an aluminum MacBook and I'm faced with a cunundrum.

I currently have an iPhone 3G and a few months ago, I got a job at an AT&T Authorized Retailer. Authorized retailers don't sell iPhones and as such, if I want to get the employee rate plan, (an incredible value) I need to switch phones. Now, I don't have a windows computer to sync to, so without some 3rd party software I'm guessing Windows Mobile isn't really an option, which basically leaves me with the BlackBerry Bold. I'm wondering if anyone else is syncing their Macs with non-Apple smartphones, and if you do, what are your experiences.

2. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

I used to have a Blackberry 8800, and I used pocket mac to sync with entourage. It was very easy. However I don't know if it is compatible with the Bold, but RIM is working on making a version of Desktop Manager to work with OS X. I don't know when it will be released though.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You don't have to switch phones. You can sign up for the employee thing and transfer it over if you know how.

4. SBA macrumors member

I'm actually in the same spot as the OP, but I just recently switched to a Blackberry Bold. I haven't synced anything with my mac, but I have synced my iCal calendars and Address Book contacts with Google and have successfully used Google Sync to get my info onto my Blackberry. Works like a champ.

5. LinMac macrumors 65816

I don't know what type of discounts employees get, but the rest of us just get a % off our monthly bill by working somewhere that gets a discount.

at&t's phone selection is pretty sparse other than the iPhone or Blackberry models. If you can't have the iPhone then go for a Blackberry. The Bold isn't my favorite phone, but you can certainly do worse.

Check with at&t directly about what type of phones or plans you can use with your employee plan. You might be able to get a discount on your existing service by being an employee.

6. mac-mania thread starter macrumors member

Not to go into too much specifics, but the Employee Rate Plan runs seperate to the discounts off a monthly bill. You're talking about FAN or IRU discounts, which in some cases are as much as 28% off your monthly bill.

The Employee Rate Plan is different, it's 2000 Anytime Minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited Blackberry or PDA personal, and unlimited AT&T Navigator for 30.00 a month. That is a substantial difference to my current monthly bill, I would need a discount of 75% to get to that price and I wouldn't have 2000 minutes.

As much as I love the iPhone it's not worth it, I can keep my current iPhone (at over 100.00 a month) or change to a WinMo or BlackBerry device for 30.00 a month. The choice to leave the iPhone is made for me.

Now it's just Bold or Fuze.

7. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

(This is coming from someone who used an iPhone around a year) Go for the Fuze. I recommend Mark Space's The Missing Sync. It worked well with my AT&T Tilt. You can sync with iTunes, Address Book, and whatever email program you use.

Don't believe the horror stories about Windows Mobile devices; I actually enjoy the freedom you get from the platform. Crashes are rare if you don't pile too much crap on it. Make sure you download Skyfire (which lets you view any Flash content.)

Blackberries are stale and boring. I didn't enjoy mine. That's why I sold it and am switching back to a WM device.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Nokia E71.

Or if you find the cheaper AT&T variant, E71x which is the same, just locked.

9. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

youre crazy!! i work at an corporate store, and i chose to have my iphone 3G that i pay on my own personal account, rather than some crap windows phone that has FREE unlimited everything on the company account.

you have two macs, u obviously chose to pay more to get nice macs rather than cheap windows PCs. same scenario, dont be cheap and get the windows, keep your iphone and just keep the plan u have.

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

10. mac-mania thread starter macrumors member

lol, now that's some good advice :p

But in all honesty, is a Blackberry Bold and an iPod Touch that much of a downgrade from an iPhone

11. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Probably not, I was going to get the Blackberry Bold which is the same price as the 16 GB iPhone 3G, but that is after the mail in rebate. As I'm still waiting for my rebate for my BlackBerry 8700c I bought back in 2006, I decided on getting the iPhone instead. The only thing I miss is push e-mail for everything.

12. mac-mania thread starter macrumors member

Yea I'm really thinking a Bold is going to be the best option. While the Bolds browser isn't as good as the iPhone, I have tethering available. And the Bold can handle all of my email and is probably a better all around phone and email device but without all the sweet apps. I mean, am I the only one who thinks the App Store is the main reason to buy an iPhone, even though it came out months after the initial launch. Otherwise the Bold will sync to the mac, and has media functionality.

13. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

I think the App Store is just an added benefit, like I said I only bought mine because it was cheaper than the Bold. The data plans are the same price though. My only worry was the purchase price.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed. ;)

Definitely buy the Bold. It's not much of a downgrade. It's just different. It'll be worse in some ways, but better in others.

15. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

bold isnt bad, just the web is so annoying, ive done a few side by side test between that and the iphone loading full web pages with a lot of pics... the iphone beat the bold by a good 15 or 20 seconds. it just says running script forever and slowly loads the page.

16. El Carbonite macrumors regular

The Bold is a great smartphone if you don't go with the iPhone. Read my lengthy review for another opinion.

I really love the look of the device and the silver bezel, and it does remind me quite a bit of the iPhone 3G. The screen offers crisp text and vibrant graphics, something that puts my antiquated BlackBerry Curve's screen to shame.

17. EB66 macrumors 6502

if your not going to go with an iphone i would definitely stick to a blackberry

i actually prefer the bold for sms over the iphone as it is lightning quick and the keyboard is great