Non-iTunes MP3 into iCloud?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by CKtoph, Aug 30, 2011.

1. CKtoph macrumors 6502

My apologies if this has been discussed and answered before, but I googled and forum searched to no avail and definitive answer...

Will non-iTunes MP3s (like Amazon) be allowed on iCloud as long as it is accessible in the iTunes store? Or does it have to be purchased on iTunes to be allowed on the cloud?

2. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Yes, if you pay for iTunes Match each year. Check the apple web site? http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

3. CKtoph thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow...can't believe I missed that.

Thanks.........

4. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

iTunes Match has just been released as a Beta to paid developers. Hopefully it works as advertised.

5. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

From the site:
    I think the beta might be a little bit buggy. In my library of 1500 or so songs, all 1500 had to be manually uploaded to iCloud, and it's been taking about 10+ hours now. Most of it is very mainstream stuff that iTunes definitely has. I have lyrics and artwork applied to all, and I had thought that perhaps Apple prevents overwriting such files with AAC files because they don't wait end users to lose their customizations on each track. But still, if you delete your local copy, you should have the option to download the iTunes track -- and for me an iCloud button does appear but it's greyed out. Frustrating.

6. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

It's the first beta, I don't know how you can expect solid bugless code dude.
    The release notes for iTunes 6.1 also state that a lot of your tracks won't be matched, yet. The matching algorithm is probably being changed and tested to make it match tracks better (the algorithm used now/for album art is very fine tuned and specific).
    When all is said and done, however, you will be able to use iCloud as described, though that process may take some time; code like this is not easy to write.

7. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

Yeah. I see your logic there. It must be something new all-together that doesn't rely on the album artwork fetching code, since most of the tracks I have were able to pull up artwork just fine. The key word here is "beta." :p