Non-Journaled HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TCrowe, Jul 14, 2014.

1. TCrowe macrumors member

TCrowe

When I installed Snow Leopard I must have somehow clicked non-journaled on the installation. At least, that is the only thing I can think of that I might have done. I understand it is nearly impossible to change back to journaled but I may have to reinstall a new OS to do so. In the mean time I have over a thousand photographs that I can't lose. Both for my website and historical of the Vietnam war that I shot when I was there in the combat zone in the Navy over there.

Any help is very much appreciated. I have done web searches to find a solution but it dawned on me tonight to come here and register to get straight answers on this and the previously posted problem with the Genieo adware problem.

If I have to reinstall an OS then I will wait for Yosemite to become available.

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Not sure about converting but if you have to erase the drive and reinstall OS X it's easy enough to restore your apps and data files from a time machine backup. You do have backups don't you? If they are that important to you there should be at least two backups with one off site.

3. TCrowe thread starter macrumors member

TCrowe

I am backed up off site. Just trying to avoid the headache I must have made for myself.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP wrote above:
    [[ I am backed up off site. Just trying to avoid the headache I must have made for myself. ]]

Why not put together a basic, ON-site backup, as well?

All you need is a drive enclosure and a drive to go into it.
    And something like CarbonCopyCloner to do the backup work for you.

This is EASY to do. ANYONE can do it (even an old guy like me).
    It won't cost that much, either.

It would help if you told us HOW LARGE your current internal drive is.

If your capacity needs are under 1tb, you would do well with this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Ina...5436107&sr=8-1&keywords=inateck+usb3+2.5+uasp

Then, just pick up a 1tb 2.5" "bare drive", drop it into the case, and snap the cover on.
    You can watch for sales on drives at a place like dealmac.com.

BTW, don't fret that your current drive is non-journaled. So long as 10.6.8 runs fine for you, you don't really need the journaling feature (so long as you're backed up).

In my opinion, having a ready-to-go backup close-at-hand is more necessary than re-initializing your drive to journaling-enabled.

And -- of course -- maintain the off-site backup, as well.

5. TCrowe, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014

TCrowe thread starter macrumors member

TCrowe

I had an external drive with my PC many years ago. I will take your advice and get a new one for the Mac. I believe the Mac's HDD is 180GB. Not sure but that is close.

OK, I just ordered a 2TB external. Shall I send you the bill? :0)

6. TCrowe thread starter macrumors member

TCrowe

Seagate 2TB

Taking your advice I just got the Seagate 2TB hooked up and started on my MacPro B/U. Thank you for the quick advice. sage, I must say.

7. chrfr macrumors 604

You can simply click the "Enable Journaling" button in Disk Utility to turn it on. Did this not work for you?

8. TCrowe, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

TCrowe thread starter macrumors member

TCrowe

I didn't know that. I will try it but still have to update the OS as a lot of the new photography software won't work with my OS 10.8.6 Snow Leopard.

No, I see nowhere on Utilities for Journaling. I wouldn't know what else to look for to find journaling either.

9. chrfr macrumors 604

Open Disk Utility and click on the name of your disk in the left side of the window. In the toolbar at the top of the Disk Utility window is a button labeled "Enable Journaling." Click it and journaling will be enabled.

10. TCrowe thread starter macrumors member

TCrowe

OK, found it at the top with the other controls such as "Burning". It is enabled and many thanks for sticking with me. Recently came very close to death with a failing Pancreas and Brain swelling and I am not quite the same at almost 66.

I am grateful for your determination to help me get this done and am wondering what the deal was that others indicated that it was almost a system melt down to re-journal the HDD. Alls well that ends well me thinks. I am now journaled.