Non-LTE Series 3 question re: Siri

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by eagleglen, Sep 15, 2017.

1. eagleglen macrumors 65816

eagleglen

With the current watches, you need to be connected to your iPhone for Siri to work. With the series 3 watches, Apple shows Siri working without an iPhone connection, but apparently connected to LTE. My question is will the non-LTE versions of the series 3 be able to use Siri if connected to wifi but without your iPhone nearby? Which makes me wonder if calls can also be made via wifi? On their website, in the watch comparison specs, it shows the Series 3 GPS version with a new W2 Apple wireless chip, so I was wondering if this is what that might be for and and other features it offers.

I just couldn't justify the monthly service fee with the LTE Watch, so I've ordered the non-LTE version, and now I'm wondering what it will be able to do. Thanks.

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Yes, Siri will work when connected to known wi-fi. Haven't tested if it works for wi-fi calling though.

3. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I thought I saw on other threads that even with the S2 people on T-Mobile were able to receive wifi calls through their watch when their phone was not around and the watch was connected to a known wifi network. Is this correct?

4. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 65816

eagleglen

I thought so too. But then what is the new W2 chip in the non-LTE S3 for?

5. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

I just picked up a S2 the other day and had this same question. I turned off Bluetooth and WiFi on my iPhone, and placed a call and used Siri. It worked fine. The iPhone does not have to be on WiFi it just has to have a network connection which can be WiFi or cellular.

It sucks we can't join a WiFi network on the AW. That is a huge missing feature.

6. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Doesn't your experiment show that your AW DID join a wifi network? I don't understand your conclusion.

7. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

Sorry I should have worded that differently.
    I should have said it sucks that you can’t join a WiFi network that you haven’t joined on your iPhone. It would be nice to see and join any WiFi network directly from the watch.

8. Aston441 macrumors 65816

It can't do that?!?

I just ordered my first AWc and didn't know this. Stupid. Hopefully it'll be added soon.

9. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Agreed. That is dumb. Should be an easy software addition. Hopefully they'll add that one day

10. verdejt macrumors 6502

verdejt

The AW can only access WiFi networks that you joined in the past on your iPhone.