Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Is there any possible way to use a non mac email address with mail for example a yahoo email address(for my mom).

Thanks

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
What he ^^ said. I use gMail with Mail, and it works really well. It can be a bit difficult to configure properly, but Google has instructions on their site.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mail.app supports many e-mail addresses aside from .Mac e-mail addresses -- I don't even have one and I use Mail.

BUT, by default, it only supports mail that can be accessed via one of the following methods:

- .Mac
- Exchange Server (e.g. if you work for a company that runs an Exchange Server for Outlook clients)
- POP3
- IMAP4

In the US, at least, POP3 access is available for Yahoo only if you pay for it. GMail is an example of free e-mail with POP, and AOL is an example of free e-mail that does IMAP.

There are additional plug-ins that allow Hotmail, Yahoo, and others to be used without paying for POP access, but they're not necessarily that user friendly. If you want to know more, search these forums for macfreepops, for instance.

Good luck!

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I use my comcast email address with Mail; no issues. However, many free internet mail services will not act as a mail server, without paying for their 'premium' (not free) service. Yahoo and Hotmail are two of them (unless they have changed their policy).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.