non mac laptop for short money

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sostoobad, Feb 1, 2012.

1. sostoobad macrumors regular

Hi, just curious what non mac laptop would you give a go to for short money.

I am going on a few trips in the near future, and don't want to bring my 13" Air, which is great. But the chances of getting a bit banged up are high.

What I am looking for is small 10" or 11" and the key is battery life.

Or does the ipad2 have the best battery life out there, that may be an option, thanks

2. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Samsung do some netbooks that are pretty sleek. My friend who isn't into computers has one, it cost about £200. As with anything windows, keep it clean, my friends is riddled with crap and is really slow now. But if you know what you are doing I see no reason why you couldn't enjoy it.

3. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

I was going to suggest a netbook but newegg and amazon seem out of stock on most netbooks, guess their share in the computer world declined tremendously.

Depends really what you need the device for, but I suggest you stick with the ipad because a netbook, at least performance wise, wont be too stellar. But perhaps if you need it to to writing while traveling, a netbook may be a good option, they have some which can sustain 10 hours.

4. sostoobad thread starter macrumors regular

Hi thanks for the replies. I would be using it only for surfing the web, emails and going on websites like this one, purely entertainment etc. so features can be nil, its size and battery life, thanks

5. mac26 macrumors 6502

I suggest getting an iPad because you can find used ones for $400 now, iPad would be more portable and it's much better than any netbook + since you use Mac OS X iOS would be a nicer thing to have to complement your MBA

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

A friend has a samsung and another has a lenovo netbook both would be good for your needs.

7. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

For those uses, an iPad seems like an obvious choice. You can still get a cheap laptop for less, but it will be well, cheap.

8. sostoobad thread starter macrumors regular

9. ericDylan macrumors regular

Yeah. I would go with the iPad. It will prove useful on your trip. Also, you will still have a use for it when you return.

It seems like you would just be throwing away money on a cheap windows laptop, so I would opt for the iPad.