Non-Macintosh Network Wireless problems

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by T0nz, Sep 27, 2009.

1. T0nz macrumors newbie

Is there a tutorial or guide for setting up a Macintosh G4 on a non-Macintosh network? I really need help with this, and I am at my wits end. My wife has a PowerMac G4 with the built-in Airport card. I have never been able to get it to connect to any Wireless network I've had. I have used a Linksys WRT-54G with the Linksys firmware, a Linksys WRT-54G with Tomato firmware, a Netgear, and now a Sonicwall TZ-100. The only way I have ever gotten this to work was to hang a Linksys WAP off of the Mac and set it up as a bridge to the WRT-54G.

Recently the Apple Store tried to sell me the Airport Extreme to get it to connect. Afterwards a friend told me that the problem was the built-in Airport card in my G4 cannot handle Wireless Security, and that had been my problem the whole time. So I bought the Airport Express instead and have it set up as a bridge. My problem now is that when MAC address filtering is enabled, the airport disconnects until I reboot the Mac. Also, turning on Wireless N (in B/G/N mode) causes it to disconnect and will not connect again until I disable it. The only way I can maintain a solid connection is to use Wireless G only and no MAC address filtering.

Please help point me in the right direction. I am not a Mac person, I am a Linux person. I am a Microsoft Network Admin by trade, and know my way around networking and wireless. My wife's frustration in this has her to the point where she is ready to go back to Windows, and I'd hate to see that as she's an artist and loves her Mac.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

--Hank

2. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like the wireless card in the G4 is crap, before spending money on apple routers and other routers, I would probably just get a third party usb wireless network adapter.