non-minimized apps to dock?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cjaynes, Dec 11, 2009.

1. cjaynes macrumors newbie

I'm a long time windows and linux user, just starting with Tiger. My most common frustration so far is that in Windows and Linux, I can have multiple windows open and non-minimized, and can easily switch between them via the task bar. I don't see a similar functionality in os-x. It appears to me that the only items that show on the dock are ones that I've minimized. If an app is open, but 'behind' another in Tiger, it appears I have to use Expose' to find it. In the other two OSes, I can just single click on the item in the status bar. Is there a way to single click to an open app that does not have the focus? This is pretty big...I always have lots of things running, and the task bar is a ONE CLICK way to switch.

Expose' seems to be a minimum of a two click way, and a pretty clunky way.

I'd love someone to explain what I'm sure is a simple way to have the same simplicity in os-x.

Thanks!

2. paolo- macrumors 6502a

You can click on the icon of the app in the dock and it'll bring focus to it.

3. cjaynes thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow...it's actually very simple, just pretty different than Windows or Redhat Linux....I guess it's almost like a combination of the Windows Quick Launch and Status Bar. After reading your answer, I do see that if it is an app that is normally on my Dock, I just click on its icon. If it's an app that is not normally on my Dock, then a new icon appears on the Dock for it while it is open.

Thanks for the quick answer to a very "newbie" question.

One more just came to mind: is there a quick way to view the Desktop? I guess this would be the same as "minimize all".

Thank you again

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There's the kludgy way where you can click the desktop and hit command+option+H and that will hide all windows. Or you can set up a hotkey or hot corner to exposé your desktop.

5. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Hahaha, we've all been there.

Managing windows in os x (and most unix based oses, I think) is a bit different as you get a bunch of small windows on top of each other. It used to be one of the things I hated about mac os, but now I have a hard time in windows because I like it so much.

Here's the way I manage mine, maybe it can help you a bit.

Spaces, just like in linux helps tiddy up and keep organized when you have a lot going on.

I like to keep my windows as small as comfortable so I can get a lot of info on my screens without actually having to switch windows or I can just click on the window to bring the focus to it. For example, web browsers don't need to be maximized, rarely are pages wider than 1000 pixels.

Hot corners are a must, you can set them up in exposé and spaces in the preferences. I personally have exposé at the right bottom so I can just flick my wrist to open it (also have a mouse button assigned to it). I also have dashboard, hide all windows and spaces. A real time saver.

I rarely use the minimize function as I rarely have multiple windows from a same app open. I use hide application instead, cmnd h. I'm not sure why actually, both do a similar job.

Otherwise there's always good ole' command tab witch works practically the same way alt tab works in linux and windows.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Another two-click way to see an obscured window in the same application that is active: Window Menu > select file or window name from the list at the bottom

7. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Learn to alt-tab, and make more use of Expose-All Windows

8. cjaynes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the tips, I appreciate it. It still seems that every app that is not in focus is at least two clicks or a series of keystrokes away, as opposed to a simple taskbar, where you can simply single click on the app you want. Is that correct?
    I know....sounds lazy. But I ALWAYS have many, many apps open at a time.

But, this is new and I know I have new habits to learn and lots of details to learn.

Thank you all again.

9. cjaynes thread starter macrumors newbie

And yes: Hot corners are a must!

Thanks again.