Non MobileME sync of Outlook for iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djrobsd, Jul 24, 2008.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if there are companies who might be developing products that will sync calendar, emails, etc to iPhone without using MobileME? When I had my Verizon Motorola Q phone, I had a program provided by Verizon called Wireless Sync that ran on my desktop at work. It would PUSH the email, contacts, and calendar to my phone from my desktop at work.

The reason I used this is because my company refuses to support anything but Blackberries, so this allowed me to still get all my stuff on my Motorola Q.

I'm wondering if anyone is working on a product like this for the iPhone? The way I would envision it is:

-Install program on your computer that runs in the background which pushes your content from Outlook up to the "Cloud"

-The Cloud would then sync with your phone via ActiveSync and push your email, Contacts, etc.

So basically this is a MobileME type service, but actually lets you use your current email provider, whoever that may be, and your current Outlook, rather then being forced to use MobileME's stuff.

2. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

well if your company used exchange, then you could just use the exchange functionality of your iPhone, that would push email, contacts, and account information.

EDIT: Oh sorry didnt read ur whole post....you could upload ur info to a free exchange server, then sync ur iphone to that...maybe that would work

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here: Which "cloud" would you push things to? If you mean MobileMe, then it can already check e-mail from other providers, but you can only reply from your MobileMe account. Having something else pushing to your MobileMe account wouldn't achieve anything additional. The only way you could achieve it would be to have something that emulates MobileMe at a local level. Bearing in mind none of the protocols have been published it would be a pretty big task, and I'm sure Apple would come down heavily on anyone selling a MobileMe "Clone"

As an aside, ActiveSync and MobileMe Sync are two completely different products

4. paj macrumors regular

paj

CompanionLink for contacts, calendar, ToDos, etc.

For push email, the only current solution I know is to to set up a forwarder on your desktop mail client to Yahoo.

5. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you clarify what you mean by "Check email from other providers"? Does this mean it syncs my email from Outlook up to MobileME and then to my iPhone, or are you saying I can configure MobileME to actually check mail via pop3, imap, etc from the other providers?

Basically I just want the mail and calender entries that are on my Outlook at work to sync up to MobileME (or another exchange/activesync provider) and then back to my Iphone. Since my company doesn't support ActiveSync, I'm stuck trying to find this type of workaround.

One other poster mentioned using an ActiveSync hosting service, but are there any out there that can pull mail from my existing outlook mailbox and sync it up?

6. blusco macrumors newbie

Free way to sync iPhone Calendar and Contacts with Outlook ove the air

this blog explains the calendar syncing http://easierlifetech.wordpress.com/

as for contacts, try outlook to plaxo, plaxo to gmail and gmail cloud sync with iphone (this is in a similar vein to the calendar syncing)

the privacy involved with these 2.0ish sites have become ambiguous as of late so you might want to be careful if syncing sensitive work related info

7. rdalben macrumors newbie

Pst

My problem was with outlook 2007 that it would not sync the Calendar, but did fine with contacts and bookmarks.

Here is what I did, but before you get started, go to me.com and create an test appointment any day ahead from now (like tomorrow). After that:

created a new pst file from the Tools Menu > Accounts > Data File (second tab) > add (file name contains no spaces);
    set this folder as default;
    exit outlook;
    open outlook;
    remove the previous pst file Tools Menu > Accounts > Data File
    open the MobileMe pref menu from the control panel (now your account should be logged out. Go ahead and login!
    open the sync tab and select to sync only calendar
    click advanced and click to reset sync data, replace Calendar only, and choose the option to mobileme overwrite the oulook cal (first optionbox).
    click replace;
    exit outlook and open outlook.
    check the calendar again.

I did this and worked for me...!!

Hopefully works for you...!