Non-Mounting Esternal Hard drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jbrown, Jul 11, 2009.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

My Ext. HHD has suddenly stopped mounting:mad: Anything I can do to get it to show up - I've tried seeing it in Disk Utility, but no joy:confused:

2. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

I gather it powers up ok? And you can hear the familiar 'wwrrr'? Tried it with another comp? My old Lacie died suddenly after 3years - light on but nothing else working. I think there's a program called MacDrive that can help.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

That may mean it failed, try to check it on another computer, if it doesn't show up I would take it to where you bought it and see if they can help recover the data, I hope nothing important was there that you didn't have a backup of..

4. John01021988 macrumors 6502

LOL, what happens when you dont have a backup of your backup? Wish SSD technology get cheaper pretty soon, as well as developing of huge SSD's that are not uberly expensive.

5. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

All I can say is I hope he still has his backed up files on his regular HD. Backup of a backup... *chuckle* lol

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I meant that some people use external hd's for important stuff that doesn't fit on their computer and freak out when it fails and they lose everything. you don't need a backup of a backup, that's not what I'm saying. Just need a backup of anything important.

7. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

It was my backup disc, so nothing lost. Is there any good testing software ( other than Disk Utility )?

Thanks all

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

RE: Non-Mounting External Hard drive

"It was my backup disc, so nothing lost. Is there any good testing software ( other than Disk Utility )?"

A few thoughts here.

Does the drive even "show up" in Disk Utility? Even if you can't work on it?
    Or, absoutely no evidence that the drive has been connected at all?

If you can hear the drive mechanism physically spinning inside the enclosure, it could indicate that the problem is with the _enclosure itself_ and NOT with the drive. That is, you could take the drive out of the LaCie enclosure, put it into another one, and it would be "alive" again.

Another possibility is that the drive _controller card_ has failed, although the drive mechanism itself is OK. Thus, it might be possible to swap out controller cards, and get at the data. But since you mentioned the disk was used for backup and nothing was lost, probably easier to replace the entire drive core.

In that case, you could put a fresh drive into the old enclosure, and be going again.

But it's important to sort out exactly what's wrong first.

- John