Non-OEM cable for monitor connection?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by curlyface, Oct 28, 2013.

1. curlyface macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 24.5" monitor from Dell that I used with my old laptop which now became a media center after the latest MBP release. I'd like to be able to use the monitor sometimes with my laptop. What's a good OEM replacement for the cable that connect my monitor to my MBP? What's this cable called? Not even sure I have the right one on the apple site..

Thanks!

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Either a MiniDP to DVI adapter (to give you a female end DVI plug), or a straight miniDP to DVI cable would work. If the monitor supports it you could also go with a MiniDP to DP cable, or MiniDP to HDMI.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10246 has all the MiniDP options (the port on the MBP is a MiniDP as well as Thunderbolt port), take your pick. On that site, I'd use the Google Checkout option if you have a CC linked to your Google account, they had a data breach a couple years ago, I'm sure it's been patched but better safe than sorry.

3. curlyface thread starter macrumors newbie

Any advantages/disadvantages to either? Thanks for the link!

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

DVI won't take over your sound. I've run into situations where DP would take over the sound output, transferring the sound to the display which had no speakers. Keep in mind, that was not on a Mac. DVI SHOULD handle the resolutions on that display fine, but that would be the only advantage of DP over DVI, support for higher resolutions.