Non-persistent vertical "dots" on the screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Henrik85, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Henrik85 macrumors member

Well, here I am again with yet another irritating problem with my almost brand new 27 inc iMac.

I was able to capture it with my camera when I was booted into Windows 7.

This is what it looked like: http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/4e4575ce5cf8f_IMG_8473.JPG

The only other times I've noticed it is when I've been working in Logic 9.

It's not that much of a deal since it only happens sometimes, and usually goes away pretty fast. It also goes away instantly when moving a window over it (presumably because it forces the pixels to change). As far as I can see, the "dots" doesn't cover the entire screen, just a small portion of it.

It's pretty hard to spot in the picture, so I've highlighted it. It may not seem that major, but it's much easier to spot from a normal viewing distance.

Any ideas? :confused:

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Is it always the same color? Is it always the same location? Does it vary in location on the screen?

Ultimately, there are three things it could be, and only two of these are likely, depending on the circumstances. While it could technically be the drivers, if it happens in OS X and Windows, it won't be. If it's the same pattern and the same location, it's more likely to be the LCD itself than it is to be the graphics card. If it varies a bit, it could be the graphics card. Though, if it's the LCD, then ultimately, the program you're running will be completely irrelevant (though the usage of the LCD itself would be relevant).

3. basher macrumors 6502

basher

If it were mine I'd be logging a call to Apple Care sine the machine is new and still under warranty.

4. Henrik85 thread starter macrumors member

I will have a pretty hard time proving it since it happens so rarely.

But yeah, it's always the left part of the screen. Other than that, there's no clear pattern.

I'll probably just ignore it since it doesn't happen often at all. I think it might be related to the heat of the GFX - it happened instantly after a long gaming-session.