Non Removable Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luckydcxx, Apr 8, 2014.

1. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You regularly bludgeon your iPhone to bits with a hammer?
    Otherwise I don't see the point.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

An internal battery is just as likely to start smoking if you wail on it with a hammer. Some people on YouTube will do anything for attention.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

QFT

...and unfortunately they get it :(

5. cynics macrumors G3

You guys prefer removable or non?

I'm thinking about it and aside from overall looks I find removable to have more pros then non removable.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have never had a need to have a removable battery
    My iPhone 5 battery easily lasts all day and gets charged overnight

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 and Note 3
    Never had a need to remove the battery there either

7. cynics macrumors G3

I've been in circumstances that I think would have been nice to slap in a new battery. I carry around a battery back up when I foresee those events happening.

Also after a few years of owning an iPhone I like to replace the battery just to get a fresh one in it. With my 4S it's not a huge pain but user replaceable would certainly be easier.

Also overall environmental impacts. I'm not a huge environmental protection person but it's more likely a battery will be recycled if it's easy to take out.

I think the trade off is a slightly smaller and lighter device (no battery covers, no plastic battery housings). Better looking because of above mentioned also.

8. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Prior to the original iPhone being introduced in 2007, I was all about removable batteries since I could purchase spares and switch them out as needed. When I purchased the iPhone, it really didn't affect me that much that the battery was not removable. Many iPhone's later, I still feel the same way. While I have lightning cables almost everywhere, my 5s battery gets me through the day. I never saw a need to get a Morphie case, mainly because I hate cases to begin with.

Honestly, if I had a Samsung phone, the thought probably would not cross my mind too.

I should also note that I usually upgrade phone's every year, so I have never really experienced an iPhone battery malfunction or start to die on me.

9. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I'm not a fan of the non-removable battery, but it's the trend with smartphones. Little by little, everyone is headed this way. Nokia now makes their Lumia line with non-removable batteries. Having the case sealed eliminates the potential for a loose or creaky battery cover, streamlines manufacturing, and keeps the phone better sealed against moisture. It's a trade-off, but with battery tech improving it's something I'm willing to endure. Of course I could always go back to BlackBerry and have that removable battery. Fair trade?

Anyway, with new tech like this coming out, a spare battery is becoming a solution in search of a problem:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2456112,00.asp

10. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Removable all the way. Had a power outage the other night and both my phones were in desperate need of charging. That would have been the perfect time to have a backup battery readily available for use.

11. cynics macrumors G3

Although not as portable and convenient I have a couple USB batteries laying around for charging. Use them for camping/backpacking but a power outage would be another good time.

I've found if I plug my iOS devices into an Android device the Android device sees iOS devices as cameras but also will charge them. Obviously at the expense of the Androids battery but I'd typically have a good charge on my iPhone and a dead Android tablet anyway. :)

12. luckydcxx thread starter macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

You could always charge off your laptop or worst comes to worst your car. I never say the need to have extra batteries laying around fully charged, seems like a waste to me.

I also have a power bank that I have for when I'm on the go and there are no outlets.

13. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Yea that's what I ended up doing, used my laptop. Took me 20 mins before I even thought about it, but yeah :)

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im starting to feel that my almost 2 year old battery on my iphone 5 is starting to wear down. Doesn't hold charge as it used to and seems like the phone needs like 2-3 charges throughout the day to make it.
    Anyone knows if Apple does battery replacements in store now?
    I'd like to pay to get a new battery put in but I have a JB iphone so not sure even though I'm willing to pay full price if they will turn me away and just void my warranty because of that.

15. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

Apple does do in-store battery replacements. I had my wife's iPhone 5 battery replaced.

I'm not sure how they handle jail-broken phones. You could always buy a kit and do it yourself, or take it to an independent iPhone repair place who wouldn't care.

16. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

17. cynics macrumors G3

May want to YouTube it. I've changed the battery in my 4S using ifixit.com liberation kit (25-30 bucks). After doing it I would have been embarrassed to pay Apple the 80 bucks or whatever. However I know that's not for everyone.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't know if I trust myself doing it:)