Non removeable batteries in smartphones, charging question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fouracre44, May 19, 2013.

1. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I was asked this question by a family member who owns a 4s. I now own a HTC one and I didn't actually know the answer.

Is there a need to calibrate batteries? Is it bad for the phone to be left plugged in overnight? I'm sure if these are myths or whether the newer batteries require calibration. I've never had an issue iwth leaving it plugged in over night before.

Whats the appropriate course of action to make sure the battery lasts along as it should? I actually turn my phone off alot, is that a bad idea? Or should I be slipping it into airplane mode instead?

Cheers guys, the question applies to both phones :) thanks

Edit: I also charge the phone whenever I can, regardless of battery life, ie in the car, at work.. is this a bad idea?

2. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Calibration merely lets your phone know what 0% battery life is so you can have a more accurate battery indicator.
    Here's a relevant article also: http://www.apple.com/batteries/

From what I've read, fully charging your phone from 0% to 100% counts as a charge cycle, and there is a limited amount of charge cycles, and going from 0% to 50%, then using it and again going from 0% to 50% only counts as one cycle, so you should be fine.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Apple takes great care with their battery technology (as do some others). Their power components carefully monitor the battery so it doesn't overcharge. Leaving plugged overnight is fine because even when indicating 100% the device will discharge slightly, then resume charging to 100%.

Basically, understanding that consumers rarely take care of their batteries (something I can attest to as a Geeksquad agent), apple made it as painless of possible across their product lines.