Non-responsive area on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by carlgo, Dec 13, 2009.

1. carlgo macrumors 68000

My 1st gen iPhone screen has a small band of non-resposiveness. Out of warranty, but any chance Apple might help? I'm going into town to the genius bar, but having some info might be helpful.

There are threads on this, but maybe someone has had a recent experience with an out of warranty iPhone.

2. lollicup macrumors regular

Apple is a business not a soup kitchen

btw sounds like you may have dropped your phone ( last few threads that people had unresponsive zones were caused by being dropped)

3. carlgo thread starter macrumors 68000

Whoa. No, I didn't drop it, ever, cuz I am really, really coordinated and when I eat donated Spam with Bacon I know my fingers are slippery and so I put the phone down on my cot down here at the shelter.

I am impressed with your detective skills. Sherlock himself couldn't put together the fact that some people have dropped their phones, so I must have. Brilliant, in a wingnut kind of way.

Anyway, I am hoping that someone has gone through this lately and can relate their experience. I have an appointment tomorrow am at the genius bar if I can steal a car in time, or just jack one up, you know?

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

This is a well known problem.

There was a run of first generation iPhones that tended to lose a band of touch.

Even Apple acknowledged it, and would replace it after the warranty is out, at least for a while.

I'm pretty sure there was an Apple support article on this, but I don't have time to search right now.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

sadly enough since it is out of warranty you are out of luck.

Same thing happened with my original phone, luckily inside the warranty window. Like 3 days only left.

Chances are it will cost too much to fix. I would see about getting a referb from AT&T as it probably would be cheaper.

6. carlgo thread starter macrumors 68000

Just to update: here is my experience. No out-of-warranty help of any sort, as expected. I had to try. I can just use it as a phone until the contract runs out.

I will go non-contract next time. Maybe the Google threat will force Apple to compete in that area.