non-Retina 15" Cases, Covers and Hard Drives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yebubbleman, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Three questions (I figured I could save on forum space by asking them both in one post)

I'm about to pull the trigger on a current generation non-retina 15" MacBook Pro that I'll be customizing to have the 2.7GHz/8MB Cache i7 and the high-res glossy display (I'll explain the method for my madness there in one of the questions). Given that, my three questions are as follows:

1. I'm considering buying a clear hard-shell case for this MacBook Pro. Is there any reason why I shouldn't (such as thermal reasons like it being bad for the computer and/or accelerating the deterioration of either the chassis or any internal components)? If not, does anyone have any brand recommendations? In addition to this, I'd like to also find a backpack style laptop bag. Messenger bag style bags hurt my back and make me hate owning a laptop, which I don't want to have happen. Or rather a backpack specifically meant to transport a laptop (like the Brenthaven bags of old). Does anyone have a brand recommendation for something like this?

2. On the Mac mini that I currently use (the one listed in my signature, which I will either sell or repurpose as a server upon buying this machine) I have 2x500GB drives in a software RAID 0 (I've been backing up with Time Machine, so it's all good). I don't use it as a server despite it being a server model. I'd prefer to not put my iTunes and iPhoto libraries on a different or external drive. Everything else, I've offloaded to my NAS. What I'm left with is around 750GB used on the drive and 250GB free. The best hard drive options available on this MacBook Pro (let alone on any 2.5" SATA bay on any computer) is either a 750GB 7200 RPM drive or a 1TB 5400 RPM drive. Given that I will be doing some gaming and light work in Final Cut Pro, Motion and the Adobe apps (but certainly not all day every day) will the 1TB 5400 RPM drive be fine for me? Or will it be too slow? I get the feeling that my choice is pretty much have faster drive that is constantly full or have slower drive and free space. It's an annoying dilema. Though I suppose I could always get an aftermarket drive down the road. Though I'd rather avoid having to do that within the first few years of owning this puppy; I'd like to make this sucker last me five years before I get the upgrade itch again. What say you all?

3. I want to get the glossy (glassy) high-resolution display instead of the anti-glare. My reasoning for doing this is that I like having the glass as a protective layer for the panel (a feature that is absent from the anti-glare); plus I don't think I'll be using my computer outside a lot; though if I do, I'll most likely be in the shade. That being said, does there exist a screen protector for the glossy display on these MacBook Pros? It'd be cool to have an anti-glare screen protector so I can have the benefit of having the protective cover glass while having the anti-glare viewing features (like I do on both my iPad and my iPod touch with their respective Zagg Invisible Shield screen protectors). Does there exist such a screen protector? Similarly, while I know that keyboard covers exist (it's on my shopping list too), do there exist palm-rest covers? I worry about potential palm-sweat discoloring the palm rest.

That's it. Any input or advice would be most appreciated.

2. Yebubbleman thread starter macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Mods: Please delete; I've separated my questions into their own threads.