Non retina apps not looking so good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maflynn, Jun 13, 2012.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like Engadget's review of the retina MBP is less then glowing and they particularly call out any unoptimized apps and how poorly they look being pixel doubled :(

This is my very concern, as I'm unsure how many of my apps will be updated for the retina display, i.e., will omnigraffle, MS word, etc?

2. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

No. Right now, those apps look exactly the same as they do on a non-Retina MacBook Pro. Is that "terrible"? Maybe compared to the Retina apps it is.

The apps will be upgraded eventually, but it'll take some time. Think back to the introduction of Retina iPhone and Retina iPad.

3. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

I suspect apps will be updated fairly quickly

4. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

I'm in a rush, so I only read the wrap up, but "less than glowing" seems less than accurate. Here's a quote:

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

People have been clamouring for Retina and these are the growing pains.

Resolution independence would go a long way in making this less painful in the future.

6. stevelam macrumors 65816

i'm sure at least omnigraffle will be, seeing as their ipad apps are retina friendly.

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I still have iPhone apps on my Ipad 2, they look a bit blocky, but they still do the job. Not really interested in how Apps look.

The resolution I'm interested in for design work mostly.

Apps will get updated, I'm glad Apple are making the push.

8. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

True resolution independence is not realistic or achievable in the near future

9. stevelam macrumors 65816

yep. my main concern is whether the tons of little apps i currently use on my mac will ever be updated. i have no doubt mainstream software (adobe/firefox/chrome/panic apps etc etc) will have retina assets but semi-popular little apps like appcleaner haven't been updated since 2008!

i assume the way apple is doing retina friendly assets is just a stop gap until we get true vectorized assets and not just doubling raster images.

10. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why do you say that when a reviewer is not liking what he sees and it seems non retina iPad apps are less crisp being displayed on a retina iPad.

Maybe its too early to tell, but its these first hand accounts that are worthwhile. Many are assuming given the density and resolution that non retina apps being pixel doubled will look ok, but we need a little more concrete information.

11. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

Did the non-Retina apps look "terrible" on the iPhone 4? No, they looked exactly as they did on the 3GS.

It's the same thing here. It might look blurry ONLY if you set the resolution to something other than the "native Retina" aka "best for Retina" aka 1440x900 virtual space.

12. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

I just dropped by the Michigan Ave Apple Store here in Chicago and took a look at them. First of all, they do seem amazingly thin. I know it's only 25% thinner, but it looks like a lot more.

Second, the display is amazing. I tested the different scaling resolutions too, and they all looked great, but obviously the native retina display looked best.

They also had MS Office installed, so I loaded it up, and yeah.. it didn't look so hot. If you're using something like Word, it isn't really going to matter much, but until design apps like Photoshop and Illustrator get updated, it's going to suck a bit.

Also, someone in another thread mentioned there was a noticeable lag on scroll - I didn't notice that at all, everything was smooth and fast.

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I didn't qualify future. It may be near or far, but them can of course make steps in this direction.