Non-Retina Displays

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by brerlappin, Aug 22, 2014.

1. brerlappin macrumors member

With the latest preview, do non-retina displays look better than before? Thanks!

2. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

3. mattjohnson78 macrumors member

The text does look cleaner and more crisp on PB2 than on PB1.

4. robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

I see no improvements on this.

5. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I noticed immediately that the bookmarks bar in Safari is easier to read in Beta 2. I also think there have been subtle changes to text elsewhere, but this was the change that stood out most for me.

I've also noticed a significant improvement in animation smoothness with my integrated GPU (mainly Mission Control), and I'm no longer getting an alarming graphics glitch when the dedicated GPU kicks in.

Lots of little improvements. I like this new beta a lot, and it's making me more excited about the GM/final release!

6. Padmini macrumors 6502a

I want to know when they are going to clean up the jagged edges on all popovers throughout the OS.

I don't know if this looks like way on Retina displays or not.

Attached Files:

7. ahlsn macrumors member

That box on the dashboard is a little bit jagged on Retina as well but not nearly as much as yours. It's only visible if i look really close. Other boxes seems fine.

8. GWX macrumors newbie

It does look a bit better! Safari tabs are now more proeminet and readable, and the fonts throughout the system don't suck with dark mode enabled :)

9. comics addict macrumors 6502a

For me it certainly looks readable. I am running it on a 13" mid-2012 cMBP.

10. anp27 macrumors regular

Yes, I agree that in PB 2 the text overall looks 'crisper' overall, and I like that they made the active tab in Safari stand out more.

11. orioncrystalice macrumors 6502

orioncrystalice

indeed, dark mode menu font does suck less overall. Over dark texture it is pretty smooth. It tends to suffer when the dropdown is over something light though e.g. this site. The white text gets visibly "stickier", I guess. This problem was also present in pb1.

Generally things look great on my 2011 iMac.

Attached Files:

12. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

I don't know that this has anything to do with Non-retina display, however I have noticed that when scrolling a webpage, the text looks ever so slightly blurred or pixelated rather than crips. When you stop scrolling it is crisp again.

And no it is not my eyes! This does not occur when running SL on the same computer.

13. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

This is how it looks on Retina display
    Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 10.48.14.png

14. Geebs macrumors newbie

It's more of a general property of LCD displays. My Air's display blurs fast-scrolling text, and always has.

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I have a 2012 cMBP and the display of Yosemite PB 2 looks pretty good. Seems crisp and clear to me.

16. klamzi macrumors member

Whole rendering seems crisper not just fonts.
    Colors are still a bit darker but now feels to have better overall saturation and intensity.
    Still room for improvements but is much better in visuals and is finally kind of usable.:)

17. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

Both my Imac and Macbook running Snow Leopard don't have blurred/pixelated text when scrolling. It is more pixelated than blurred and it is nothing to do with my eyes. I also did not notice it in Yosemite PB1 (but can't be certain). However it certainly is there in PB2 on both Imac & macbook.

I can live with it... but I thought maybe it had something to do with being a non-retina display - but I really have no idea.