iPad mini Non-retina iPad Mini for kids?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMas70, Aug 19, 2014.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

Target has the 16GB version of the iPad Mini on sale for $199. ($189 on my Target card). This would be for my kids. What do you think? Good enough for games and Netflix or better off going with the Retina version if I get them one? My original plan is to give them on iPad 4 after I get the new one when it's released in a few months. Haven't decided yet but kicking around some ideas.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My 8 year olds have their own iPad minis. Depending their age and maturity level it should be ok. You are really the best judge to determine whether they can handle the responsibility.

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Just be sure to buy a solid case that will protect it. We've had good results using the Otterbox Defender.

4. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Go for it. It's still a solid device that is going to see 2 updates (if not more) which are iOS 8 and iOS 9.

5. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

My kids have had that model for about a year and it works like a champ for the apps they use. I believe you'll get a good few years use out of it.

On another note, I have a friend who passed down his iPad 1 to his son and has no plans on upgrading it anytime soon. It does everything he needs it to.

6. brew99 macrumors newbie

Got my son the ipad mini 2 when it first came out, but to be honest, I probably should have gotten the mini 1 and saved some money as the retina display is not really required for his functions (youtube, games)

7. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

My gen1 Mini is still going strong, and I'm not thinking about upgrading soon. I use it for Netflix, etc., but also for reading pdf's and taking handwritten notes with a stylus.

The trick is to keep them away from websites/forums that will teach them what they have isn't good enough.

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Is there a way you can block them from accessing MacRumors on the iPad? :p

9. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was just reading about this offer on Target's Facebook page. Most people are reporting them as out of stock. Haven't checked my local store yet.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You only have to block them from your wallet.