Non Retina Macbook Pro O/C'ng

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stillmehungry, Jul 11, 2012.

1. stillmehungry macrumors newbie

I have been searching for weeks and days with no results.

I was wondering if It is possible to overclock the gpu on the standard macbook pro 2.6 1g 650m model?

I have tried with several programs, evga, msi, nvidia system tools and all reporting strangely low clocks. Is this a software limitation that will fix with drivers or its just not possible on the non retina model.

I thought I would give a shot and post in here to see if any new information has been found. Thanks

2. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

there are some modification that you can do to nvidia inspector to overthrow the limit in how it can oc.

take a look for that in the 650m RMBP oc thread

3. ibebyi, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

ibebyi macrumors member

Please let us know if you come across anything, as this is something I'm definitely interested in as well.

Maybe you can try this. In the nvidiainspector.exe's main folder, create a new .bat file and fill it with this text:

nvidiaInspector.exe -setGpuClock:0,1,1035 -setMemoryClock:0,1,2500 -forcepstate:0,1

This, on my retina macbook, sets the clocks for the GPU to 1035 core and keeps the memory at 1250 (doubling). It also forces the GPU to stay locked into the P1 state. Try running that and see what the "current clock" reads on nvidiainspectors main window.

I'm pretty sure this is what the previous poster is talking about, but I don't have any way of testing it out on a non-retina model (exchanged for retina)

I, like you, searched for hours for over clocking information on a non-retina model, and finally gave up and bought the retina mbp.

EDIT: Also, this seems to be driver independent, in that I installed the 304.48 nvidia beta drivers on a non-retina mbp, and the clock range in MSI Afterburner was the same (IIRC 430-650? something like that)

4. stillmehungry thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah no luck with that. I would really like to find out and have searched everywhere, have been searching and I think I will just return this to the online store and order the retina... too bad the wait time is one month... hows the retina look for gaming on the 1440x900 resolution? do you find it much better looking than it was on the standard?