Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marilynfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
After seeing the retina in person yesterday I was not blown away enough to want to pay the higher price. My 2007 MBP died 2 months ago and I have been anxiously awaiting the refresh before replacing it.

So I am leaning towards the non-retina 2.3 with 8GB although the thinness of the retina is hard to pass on. I'm interested in a 256SSD. Should I upgrade to it upfront or wait and have the optical drive replaced with one later?

What does taking out the drive do to your warranty? Where do you take it to have done?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So I am leaning towards the non-retina 2.3 with 8GB although the thinness of the retina is hard to pass on. I'm interested in a 256SSD.
Buying SSDs aftermarket is cheaper than paying Apple's prices.
Should I upgrade to it upfront or wait and have the optical drive replaced with one later?

What does taking out the drive do to your warranty? Where do you take it to have done?
Technically, it does void your warranty to remove/replace the optical drive, but many have done it. Just put the ODD back before you take it to Apple for service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.