Non-Retina Macbook Pros Price Drop and Phase-out?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DavidLeigh, Aug 11, 2012.

1. DavidLeigh macrumors member

Hi,

I'm looking to get a normal macbook pro. I'm not sure how well the retinas are doing, but i won't be getting one. They look great but are outside of my budget! Thing is i've heard rumours they and the macbook airs are set to replace the non-retina models. This means that the non-retina models might see a price drop and gradual phase-out, and therefore a value reduction. I wouldn't want this to happen after i've bought a macbook. Do you guys think this is likely? Has there been any news indicating this?

Thanks,

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It's extremely unlikely that there will be an official price drop from Apple. If they are phased out it won't be until a year after the current models were released. I would guess it will be longer than that.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

No news or rumors backs up any of those claims. It is widely expected that Apple will phase out ODDs and HDD across the entire lineup eventually, but your guess is as good as anyone else's right now as to when.

I would bet that prices of rMBP components will keep the classic MBP from being discontinued for at least a couple more generations.

If you want a deal on a Mac, why not the refurb store? Don't expect any kind of price drop ever on new machines. Apple doesn't keep new versions of the last generation hardware around for Macs like they do iPhones/iPads.

4. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

As others have pointed out, I wouldn't worry too much about a phase out. The price point for the updated MacBook Pros are simply too high at this point. It will a few more generations before the older models essentially phase out and are replaced.