non-retina mbp 512mb vs. 1gb video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by garstudios, Jun 22, 2012.

1. garstudios macrumors member

Will there be an advantage with the 1GB video over the 512 video card in the non retina 15" mbp when editing hd video files from a canon 7d and 5dmkii? (well other than the 2.3 vs. the 2.6 processors)

i recently built a pc and when i was trying to choose video cards, everything i was reading was saying that the core gpu such as the nvidia 3000 and the new 4000 would be handling video work such as encoding/transcoding work, and only games would benefit from another gpu. is this true?

what ways would it benefit other than gaming?

i dont game.

thanks

2. garstudios thread starter macrumors member

i will be using premiere pro, after effects, final cut pro, photoshop, and lightroom....newest editions....if this helps any. i just dont really know how these programs use or if they even take advantage of these other gpus.

i wont be doing anything to insane though.

3. CFoss macrumors 6502

The processor will probably be more important. As for whether I would go for it, if you can afford the extra money, I would recommend it, as you won't be able to upgrade those components in three years time.

Alternatively, you could order the 2.3GHz model, and if it's too slow, return it for the 2.6GHz model.