non-retina mbp vs. retina mbp benches??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by garstudios, Jun 30, 2012.

1. garstudios macrumors member

I ordered my 15" non-retina 2012 mbp and it will be here july 2nd.

It has:

>8gb ram - i will upgrade to 16gb within in a week or so.

>750gb 7200rpm hdd - i will move that into an optibay, and install a 256-512gb ssd within a week or so too.

>2.6 processor

>1gb graphics

>antiglare high res display

i get a new one every other year, i just couldnt do the retina yet, probably next gen.

Are there any comparisons of the retina macbook pro to a similarly specd non-retina version. I just keep coming across benchmarks and comparisons of a retina compared to a base model non-retina. which is just plain stupid, in my opinion, that they even exist. why would you compare apples and oranges, didnt everyone learn in school your not supposed to do that.

like im looking for a comparison for instance:

2.6 vs. 2.6
    ssd vs. ssd
    1gb graphics vs. 1gb graphics
    16gb ram vs. 16gb ram

anybody, anywhere?
    would there be a difference?
    wouldnt graphics perform better on the non retina?
    heat?
    could you get a ssd that outperforms the retina one?
    time battery last?

anyways, point me in the direction if you know it. or if its been talked about, point me to those threads. i couldnt find them, or at least, didnt know how to phrase my search good enough.

on a side note, i cant wait to get back to anti-glare screen. i have been using the glossies since my last non-unibody......i have always missed it, but for some reason kept getting glossy after that. im thinking the glossy is putting to much strain on my eyes...

2. garstudios thread starter macrumors member

3. Burk11 macrumors newbie

They'll be about the same. Go enjoy your purchase without second guessing the decision :)

4. garstudios thread starter macrumors member

Believe me, i will, and i havent. I was just bored, and curious. Plus i kept reading different comparisons/reviews over and over again, and they all just compared the retina, to a base model non-retina, and then the writer would make some huge deal about the difference, and basically make it seem like the non-retina cant live up to the retina in all areas of performance....plus, every single review/comparison includes multiple paragraphs talking about how much better the non-retina is because it has a ssd with no moving parts, and fails to mention that you can configure the non-retina with an ssd, and or upgrade it yourself....where are the hard questions like:is there an ssd available right now that you can put into the non-retina, that can out perform the ssd in the retina model? or something that actually attempts to prove or disprove the ability to make a non-retina faster/perform better in any area with or with out apple upgrades/third party upgrades.

nope, all i see are cookie cutter reviews that blab on for paragraphs explaining how the retina is the best because blah blah blah and leave out the part that (you can install or configure the non-retina to include the same blah blah blah,which will allow you to obtain the same performance sans display.....)

5. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

Here is one....
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1397557&highlight=650m

looks like the 650M on retina is faster? Can someone confirm how much?

6. 01mggt macrumors 6502

7. Mr.Breen macrumors newbie

Question

Have you completed your upgrades? im doing the same config as you to the same model mbp. how fast is the boot with the ssd/ram upgrades.