NON-Retina, new 15" info thread...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whdigital, Jun 12, 2012.

1. whdigital macrumors regular

Seems like several threads are riddled with people answering questions about these and referring to the Retina models. So, let's start a thread where we can discuss the questions and issues around purchasing the new (2012) NON-Retina 15.4" (NOT the 13"!) MacBook Pros....

For me (and I don't want to open a debate about this!), these are just what the doctor ordered. For specific reasons, I need/want the SuperDrive and eNet port onboard as well as the native screen real estate of the HR w/ Antiglare. I bought a late 2011 Refurb last week hedging bets in case they went scarce and now returned it yesterday to BTO one of these new ones because the improvements look significant enough!

One comment/question: It looks like they are spec'ing faster 1600mhz RAM. Anyone know if current model 1333 modules will still work and/or what the real world difference might be?

Also, the chassis appears to be identical physically. Anyone know if the thermal systems got tweaked at all internally (different quieter fan blades, etc.)?

2. Adamb10 macrumors member

I have the 15" non-retina base model and it's pretty fast even with a hard drive. Apps pretty much open instantly. Boot times are a bit slow but that's about it. It's just a bit big (and still expensive).

3. omgitswes Guest

Anyone plan on replacing the ODD with a SSD and installing the OS on there?

Does just any regular SSD fit into these?

4. Ben8472 macrumors member

i would really love to hear about the heat and fan noise compared to the 2011 MBPs, any info that? i tested a early 2011 2,0ghz 15" for a week and i rather keep my late 2008 c2d than listening to a loud fan anytime i do something more than reading e-mail.

5. Adamb10 macrumors member

Well I loaded World of Warcraft on it and cranked it to Ultra (which the 650M handles wonderfully) and got 30-50 FPS. I didnt really notice it making noise.

6. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

I would like to know if the fan noise is any different from the late 2011 model too. I'm torn between a refurb late 2011 model, new 2012 with education discount and waiting for the 2012 to hit the refurb section...

7. jbzcar macrumors regular

I plan to transfer my 256gb SSD and 1TB optibay HDD into the one I am going to purchase this fall. :)

8. omgitswes Guest

Will just any regular SSD fit? I have a 60gb in my desktop that I want to upgrade.

Figured I'll just transfer the 60 gig to the MBP and put a larger one into the desktop. Does OSX take up as much space as Windows?

Another thing, might need to make my own thread for this though. But does anyone have any Linux distributions set up to dual boot alongside OSX?

9. jbzcar macrumors regular

It takes any standard SSD. 60gb will be workable, but a bit cramped. You will definitely need to link some stuff from your Libraries to your HDD. My Steam folder alone is ~30GBs, lol.

10. Ben8472 macrumors member

^^
    this

11. omgitswes Guest

Really all I plan on putting on it is the OS, Office, a browser, and Photoshop.
    It's what I have on it now and have about 20 gigs left.

12. jbzcar macrumors regular

Should be fine then. :)

13. Guitarboy315 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

After debating wether I will get the Retina or Regular Macbook Pro, I think I'm gonna go with the Regular. The way I see it, I want a computer with desktop power and I might even use the disk drive once or twice... And then, later, I'll either invest in a retina Macbook Air or wait until the prices of the Retina Macbook Pros come down.

However, I have 2 questions that I hope some of you "pros" can answer.

Is it worth it to upgrade to the Hi-Res screen for $100? Is the Hi-Res screen that noticeable?

And also, is it worth it to upgrade my HD from 5400 RPM to 7200 RPM? Will that make my computer faster?

Thanks!

14. pmkoch macrumors regular

I am not sure if this belongs here but I didn't want to start a new thread. I am getting a 15" MacBook Pro. Now I am trying to decide if I should get a 2011 2.2GHz i7 refurb model or get a 2012 2.3GHz i7 non-retina version. The 2011 can be had for $1,359 but the 2012 will cost $1,699. I will be using it daily for IT work(maybe a few VMs), occasionally music recording and hopefully for Diablo3(I hardly play PC games but I like to have the option). Are specs really that much better for $350?

15. Joe King macrumors 6502

Anyone know what the position is with RAM upgrades for the new (non-retina) MPB? Apple website says max possible is 8Gb. Is that right? Surely 16Gb or more is possible?

16. jbzcar macrumors regular

16GB for sure. 32GB is theoretically possible.

17. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I hope so. I plan to upgrade later this year.

18. Joe King macrumors 6502

Ordering now :)

19. Ve3tro, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

Ve3tro macrumors member

Does anyone know if you can still replace the ODD with a second HDD/SSD? I doubt I will be using any discs so I'm hoping to place in a second 750GB or 1TB drive.

I should have mine by Tuesday. Decided to upgrade everything and will be replacing the ram with 16GB.

20. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

Im also due for an upgrade. My late 2008 macbook pro is not up to the task at hand. Specially editing video. But I am not ready to jump to retina bandwagon yet. For I believe it is not ready for primetime. Specially I have a bad experience with Apple being early adopter. So my question is. Is it worth to pay extra $200 for 2.7 ghz 8mb l3 cache or should I stick to 2.6 but pay for 750 gb 7200 rpm and Hi res display for $150 extra.

21. whdigital thread starter macrumors regular

Precisely the setup I'm getting! I don't think the 2.7 is worth the premium, but I do believe the AG is an absolute. I'm also getting the 7200rpm HD because for $50 I'll enjoy moving it to an external case and enjoy the better speed on that. In placed of the factory drive I have a Momentus XT Hybrid drive I'll use until large capacity SDDs are more affordable. :)

Still wish I could find out if the fans are redesigned internally