Non-rMBP vs New rMBP15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TRDGT4Writer, May 18, 2015.

1. TRDGT4Writer macrumors regular

TRDGT4Writer

I'm in the market for a Macbook Pro that's going to be better than my 2008 Macbook Pro 15 which served me well. However, I'm going to replace the old 750GB 7,200rpm SSHD with a new 1TB SSHD and use my old MBP as an archive only laptop.

The question is which laptop should I buy: The Mid 2012 non-rMBP15 or the new rMBP15 that's coming this week (I hope)? Is it worth paying the extra $$$ for it? If I was going to buy the new rMBP15, I would have to upgrade every part of the MBP15 to suite my needs which is Video Editing and Compositing.

What are the MacRumors recommendations?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd go with the new rMBP. The screens are just that good.

3. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Retina Macbook Pro FTW

The rMBP will be better in basically everyway. The screen, the CPU/GPU, Storage, RAM, Cooling Technology/Design... you may be able to get close with a non retina in some aspects, but the Retina is a better choice overall IMO

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

rMBP

There is no comparrison for your work that screen will make all the difference and hopefully there'll be a much better dGPU option which will make your video encoding much much faster.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

How important is money? A used cMBP will be less than half what a new rMBP will be, even after you upgrade it. $900-1000 vs. $2500+ is a significant difference.

6. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Why would you need to upgrade the old MBP when the rMBP would do all the video editing/compositing much faster?