non-Seagate SSD and GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter

kgallag1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Dorval, Quebec
Hi, all. Anyone know if there are any problems with connecting a 3rd party SSD to a Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter? I was doing this for a while with a Crucial M4 and the SSD died. I wanted to make sure it wasn't the GoFlex that killed the drive. It wasn't an issue of garbage collection or related (tried the tricks Micron/Crucial gave me of connecting the drive to power without any form of data flow to no avail). I wanted to make sure it wasn't the Seagate adapter that might've caused the problem. Note: Crucial did replace the drive without hassle.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I doubt the Thunderbolt adapter is spec'd to run only Seagate branded drives. I'd chalk it up to the crucial drive being the root of the problem.

nontroppo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
We have both the desktop and portable TB goflex adaptors and use OCZ vertex 4 and OWZ SSDs and so far have had no problems. The go-flex simply exposes a SATA connector, so can't see how they would lock that to seagate drives and "break" competitors drives...

Nemic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
I have been using a Crucial M4 256GB drive with the GoFlex portable thunderbolt for a while now, and have had no issues.

I do put a pad of thick paper (a stack of post it notes) under the SSD so that the connection is not under any stress.

The thunderbolt base does contain magnets, and I wonder if they may have had an adverse effect on your drive? The standard Seagate drives may be shielded by their case.

Perhaps my thick wad of paper is helping to shield the drive. This is just a theory though, I have no evidence that it helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.