non-sexy iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jobsfnby, Jun 3, 2008.

1. jobsfnby macrumors regular

i know some users want an isight camera and a stylus, but to me that would make the iphone really unattractive. One of my favorite things about the iphone is how clean it is and how there's only a couple of places where it's not smooth.

If apple adds an isight camera to the front it would be nice if it was under the touchscreen or at the top under the glass next to the earpiece because it would look nicer.

It would be nice if the stylus was an option cuz i for one don't like other phones that have syluses because they sometimes get in the way and really bug me to use.

I really hope apple does something unique to integrate any new features:rolleyes:

2. corrado7 macrumors regular

corrado7

3. jobsfnby thread starter macrumors regular

point of thread

has anyone really thought of how the iphone will look if apple adds a stylus and how much more it'll look like other phones?

4. neven macrumors 6502a

No one expects Apple to add a stylus to iPhone. Where on earth did you get that idea?

As for front-facing iSight, have a look at an iMac. The iSight is almost invisible.

5. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I think you mean non-sexy iPhone...... and the whole idea of the iPhone is multi-touch. When Steve first announced it he specifically said he didn't want a stylus.

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Apple won't use a stylus. The whole point of multi-touch is that you don't need a stylus. Steve Jobs talked about this to a large degree at the iPhone 1.0 launch.

As far as the front camera goes, it's supposed to be hidden behind the glass so you don't actually see it.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    "We don’t want to carry around a mouse, right? So what are we going to do? Oh, a stylus, right? We’re going to use a stylus. No. Who wants a stylus. You have to get em and put em away, and you lose em. Yuck. Nobody wants a stylus. So let’s not use a stylus. We’re going to use the best pointing device in the world. We’re going to use a pointing device that we’re all born with — born with ten of them. We’re going to use our fingers." - Steve Jobs

Some notes:

Multi-touch usually means being able to recognize more than one touch at a time. It has nothing to do with using stylii or not. I suppose Apple has corrupted the meaning forever, though.

The real point about not using (or being able to use) a traditional stylus, is that all the UI controls were made large enough to use fingers. The amount of screen information density is kept low for the same reason.

As for "best pointing device", there's a reason we don't write letters or do architectural drawings or even most portraits with finger painting ;)

8. neven macrumors 6502a

...and there's a number of reasons why we don't do any of those on phones either :)

We also don't click real-life buttons with special poking tools.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I do, in a way. About the only time I whip out a stylus is when I need to make a quick drawing before going to Home Depot, and want to jot down shapes and measurements. Very handy.

Something else: my four year old daughter learned to write the alphabet using a stylus on a Windows CE handheld I had laying around, which had handwriting recognition on it. You could either write one letter and stop, or a whole sentence and then stop and it would splat out all the letters at once. Excellent feedback for her.

Unless they're really tiny like SIM tray ejection buttons :)