Non-sleeping, menu no longer highlights

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mojohanna, Dec 9, 2008.

1. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

On the G5 in my sig, I am having problems that recently crept up.
    1. The computer no longer sleeps.
    2. On any extended menus that would typically highlight and show the extended menus, this function no longer works.
    3. My dock is set to auto hide and it no longer appears when I mouse over it. It also does not magnify when I mouse over the apps.

I have tried the following
    1. Restart
    2. Repair permissions
    3. Free up HD space (I was down to about 6GB and have freed up about 6GB so now I have 12)

I think it may be software related, but I am wondering if it might be the video card.

I do have everything backed up to TM and have not done a full restore to a previous date. Before I do that, I thought I would see if anyone had any other suggestions.

Let me know if more information is needed. Thanks much.

2. nardac macrumors newbie

1. Reset the PRAM
    3. Riname the file : youraccount/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist to
    com.apple.dock.plist.bad . Log out and in , if the dock works right delete the file and keep the new generated file com.apple.dock.plist

3. mojohanna thread starter macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Thanks, I will give this a try. If it doesn't work, my next step is to create a new user account and try that out. If all else fails, I will use time machine and go back to when it worked.

it was probably my darn kids messing with it.:rolleyes:

4. mojohanna thread starter macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Ok, now I have reset the PRAM, SMU, created a test account (logged out, logged in) and did a TM restore to a date prior to having problems. (I am pretty sure).

Any other suggestions besides a clean install?

5. mojohanna thread starter macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Got it. It turned out to be my wireless mouse. After resetting that, everything works fine.