Non stop Kernel Panic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenguy4, Feb 22, 2010.

1. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

Here is what happened. I tried installing a boot camp partition it kept getting errors and saying that the drive permissions needed to be repaired, everything other than that was working fine. So I tried repairing permissions and it failed , the boot camp assistant now recommended I backup and reformat. So I went into disk utility erased the drive and installed my back up.

Now whenever I restart it goes straight away to a kernel panic. I have tried resetting pram (cmd, opt, p, r) right when I boot up but their is only a few seconds before the kernel panic and I am not sure if this has worked. I also went back to disc utility and hit repair permissions on the drive and this did nothing as well.

Im running a late 2008 alumbook. ANY advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. greenguy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I have tried another of things. I erased and installed Mac OSX and when it had none of my files on it, it worked fine. I tried reinstalling from time machine using disk utility and again kernel panics.

If I try restoring from Time Machine from inside finder by just selecting all the files in Macintosh HD (oncce already logged in I mean) will it include all of my files or will I be missing some? Is this a problem with my backup drive?

I really could use some help here.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're getting not stop KPs its probably a hardware failure and given you were doing some disk activity at the time, means that it may be the HD.

Repairing permissions won't help you because is not a permission issue, but a failure. Try try the Apple Hardware Test found on your install disk you got with your computer. Short of that call, apple, because it sounds like they may need to run some diagnostics on it.