Non-tech-savvy CEO wants an iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gilkisson, Nov 13, 2008.

1. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I'm the IT Director in the company. I have an iPhone, so does one of my staff. We, the (shall we say) "technically capable" folks, have no problems with our phones (apart from the Safari crashes, no C&P, blah blah blah - not talking about those issues right now).

My boss the CEO isn't what you would call blessed by the touch of the elder geek gods. He's been using a Moto Q (ew) on Verizon, a WM device (eeww!!), and accessing his Exchange, more or less reliably.

He's finally had it with Verizon, irritated at his Moto, and I think jealous of the iPhones. He's told me to get a contract with AT&T, port his number over, and get him an iPhone pronto.

Them's my orders, which I intend to obey, after stalling until 2.2 comes out.

Questions I have:

Anyone been down the porting-from-Verizon-to-AT&T road before? Any particular rocks and shoals to be aware of?

Given that the boss isn't a geek, has never watched a SciFi movie in his life, and has never used a Mac, might the iPhone be overload for him? He's no dummy, not by a long shot, don't get me wrong -- it's just that technology and magic are often indistinguishable to him.

Anyone else had to grasp the horns of this dilemma?

2. detz macrumors 65816

My girl and her brother and month switch last weekend. Every was very seamless, it did take about 12 hours for Verizon to release their numbers but other than that everything worked fine.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

On the contrary, I think the iphone is very easy to use--all the menu items are very easy to navigate. Your CEO shouldn't have a problem even though he might not be up on the latest technology.

4. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Unless the man has his phone as a business phone through your company, then you can not port his number over. He has to do the work. Due to privacy issues like credit cards, etc he must do it, not you.

Basically all he needs to do is walk into AT&T (as long as his contract is over) and tell them he wants to start a new plan and get the iphone. They will ask him for his current phone number and Verizon Account Number (he needs this). Once this is done, they will port it over without much hassle. It will take a few hours at the most and it will be done.

The iphone is much easier to use than a WM device. My CEO and CFO recently switched to one from WM phones. Both love them.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

+1

The iPhone is, by far, the easiest phone I've ever used. You'll want to adjust all the settings for him, but I'm sure that's what he was thinking anyway!

6. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I think the iPhone is the easiest cell phone I have ever used; yet it's also the most complex. Goes to show you how great the software is. I'd say he shouldn't have a problem.

7. diggator macrumors member

diggator

As you would know, since your using an Iphone, its the easiest phone to manuever through... He will enjoy it!

8. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Considering he's the CEO, you shouldn't even be doubting what he wants. Just do it.

9. gilkisson thread starter macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Oh, I'm not doubting. He wants what he wants, of course. But it wouldn't be the first decision of his I've "steered" in a better direction, which is also part of my job.

Guess I'll have to get used to him being able to email me at all hours now... on the Q, email is so horrible he didn't bother trying to send at all.

10. icewing macrumors 6502

Completely understand and sympathize with what you're faced with.

Have you had him try a few different things using your phone? Have him try typing, see how that goes for him. I would also suggest having him create a few calendar entries and send an email or two.

11. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

The iPhone is truly an easy phone to use. One of the easists I would say. My 8 year old that wont own one till he gets his own job, loves mine and used it without any help from me. He should have no problems.

12. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Verizon to att? yeah, he'll be pleased. :rolleyes:

$1 he switches back after the 10th dropped call... on the first day. :)

Good luck with that!

13. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

CEO...

Is that the title everyone gives to themselves now? I am the CFO of 7-11 during the midnight to 6 am shift.

14. pkagel macrumors regular

porting from Verizon to ATT took all of an hour for me.

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

:D This made me laugh - and I'm really stressed out so I appreciate it!

As far as helping you out I can't speak to Verizon to AT&T, but I would say that never using a Mac wouldn't be an issue for him to understand the iPhone. In reality, I would say that if he struggles with technology, then the bright colors, neat text, and big pictures of the iPhone will be a big help to him. Plus it's touch screen, so it's along the lines of a toddler touching what he wants as far as ease of use is concerned ;).

16. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I'm sure this is helpful to the OP... :rolleyes: You're CFO of that store only during the midshift, and I doubt anything you do will affect the franchise as a whole.

17. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I once showed a friend my iPod touch, and instantly became his 8-year-old son's best friend. Especially when the boy found out I had a NES emulator installed. I suddenly found myself cleaning the screen and charging the battery quite often. I saw them again a few months ago, my friend got an iPhone and, predictably, his son plays games on it constantly.

Everyone I've shown it to has had no trouble picking up how to use it.

18. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

tell him to get a bb bold or storm.

better for emails.

19. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

If I were the CEO and read your post, you would be looking for a new job. hahaha I would strangle you if I knew you were delaying me from getting an iPhone. :)

20. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

if he finds out your stalling him

say bye bye to your job.

21. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Has it occured to you guys that he has already informed the CEO of his intention to wait for 2.2?

To the OP--

Just get him the iPhone. He'll love it. I know tech geeks that have them, and simpletons as well, and they are all comfortable with their iPhones.

22. daisuke07 macrumors regular

the iphone was rated the easiest and simplest cell phone

23. bigmouth macrumors 6502

If he's been using Windows Mobile, I can't imagine he'll be phased by the iPhone's simple and intuitive interface. My friend's mom wanted a smartphone but had very little experience with mobile computing. I suggested an iPhone and she's been very happy.

24. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The only problem I can imagine with the iPhone is making a call... Phone > Keypad > Dial is not nearly as intuitive as just punching in a number.

But once he learns that, should have no issues. The iPhone is very straightforward to use...

25. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

iPhone is probably the easiest phone I have ever used.