Non-techy Needs Help Picking New Printer. What's Your Pick?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rockdoc173, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Rockdoc173, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

Rockdoc173 macrumors newbie

It's come time for a new printer in my household. As mentioned above, I'm not a very gizmo savvy person, nor do I want to be, but I need to purchase a printer that fills the following criteria.
    The device needs to...
    1) easily print, copy and scan. (Fax is a nice bonus but not a requirement)
    2) print from my iMac, MacBook, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones.
    3) BE WIRELESS. The last one advertised this feature but, in the end, did not deliver.
    And lastly: 4) be simple, easy to learn and use.
    After being referred by a friend I began to look closely at several HPs. I like very much what I found but, to be quite honest, I'm having a tough time deciphering the differences between each of the models. So, when you make a/an recommendation(s) please include a brief explanation why you prefer one brand or model over another.

2. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Don't go Canon, or other inktjets, if you don't print much. The printing head will get blocked in about 2 years time, which is more expensive than the whole printer. And with an all in one, you can't even scan anymore... You can also look at a laserprinter as they are pretty cheap, last longer, less costs per print, and the printhead doesn't get clogged! Especially if you almost never print photo or in color, a laser is great and fast!

A couple of months ago I threw my Canon MP 640 out the window and bought a HP 125 nw all in one laserprinter. The software and drivers from HP are much better than Canons and you can do an easy setup and also go all the way "IT" on this thing.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

I second the recommendation to get off of the inkjet merry-go-round and pony up for a laser. You never have to replace a toner cartridge until you've actually used up the toner. No wasting of ink trying to clear dried up / clogged heads.

In the three and a half years I've had our color Brother 4150CDN I've put in one black toner cartridge. Color carts aren't quite done yet as I don't print color all that often.

For printing photos you'll get far better quality for much less money by ordering photos at MPIX.com or even your local Walgreens/Walmart/Sams/Costco/etc. I can upload a photo to Walgreens.com and pick it up an hour later from a store a mile away.

5. Rockdoc173 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been scouring the internet, looking at the actual manufacture's website and I found the HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw to be a possibility. Though I would like to go cheaper than $260, I'll be happy if it will do everything within my criteria. What is your opinion of this printer? I won't be doing serious office work so I don't feel that an expensive, do everything under the sun printer is appropriate.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I can't recommend an all in one printer as I use separate devices. However, if you plan on doing any scanning beyond single pages, get one with a sheet feeder for the scanner. Single page flatbeds are a pain in the butt.

My wife's Mac came with a HP printer with scanner. It would never scan properly via wifi. HP's Mac software support was very poor.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

To be honest I have no thought-out opinion, I really haven't been looking at printers. The couple of not-so-thought-out things that come to mind are:
    • I've seen reports of HP software messing up Macs with excessive cpu utilization even when idle. May be true, may not be true. I recommend you do some research.
    • Read reviews to see how long the "starter" cartridge lasts. HP's been bad for hitting a low initial pricepoint by giving you a very reduced capacity starter cartridge. Everyone may be doing it by now, I don't know.
    • Research toner costs *and* whether the cartridges are "chipped" to try to prevent you from refilling. I bought my current Brother printer when it was as as cheap (on sale) as buying a set of cartridges for my then-four-year-old HP 2600n and came with a full set of toner.
    • Just as a gut feel I like Brother a little more than HP these days, can't really give a reason.
    • The HandyPrint app solves the AirPrint problem easily and inexpensively.
    • Check out the Brother MFC7860DW -- auto duplex is a really nice feature you don't realize you'll appreciate as much until you have it.

8. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I need a new printer to replace my HP Officejet 6500A all in one. It's been problematic since new, refusing to be recognized unless I pull the plug and power on again and now the print head is clogged badly. I never did get the wireless function to work right.

I'm taking the advice on the laser printer, probably a Canon. My Canon at work never fails.

9. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I am looking to buy a new printer but I am confused. What should I look out for? I am going to buy a laser but this color laser printer is only $60 more expensive than this black and white one.

There are other laser color laser printers with prices rising into the thousands of dollars...
    Is there a catch? Why would I get a $700 laser printer if I can get one for $200?

10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Mac wrote:
    "There are other laser color laser printers with prices rising into the thousands of dollars...
    Is there a catch? Why would I get a $700 laser printer if I can get one for $200?"

The "catch" is that the low-end lasers -- while they DO print in color -- cannot produce color output that equals that of the high-end lasers or even low-end inkjet printers.

Only you can answer whether the color output quality on a lower-end color laser printer is "good enough" for your usage.

If you're satisfied with modest-quality color printing for day-to-day business output and graphics, you'll probably be happy with a lower-cost color laser.
    But if you're expecting "photo quality", I sense that you may be disappointed...

11. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

For monochrome, I found the Brother 2740DW to be near-perfect. Works great with printing from iOS too. Much better UI and speed than my old Dell 1600N laser.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

In addition to comments above make sure you're looking at ongoing costs as well. Price out those color toner cartridges, drum (if applicable), etc.

Make sure you're carefully comparing and not just looking at the word "color" and price tag.

13. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Another thing that separates $200 lasers from more expensive ones is duty cycle. Some are designed for more heavy usage. There's also things like print speed, Postscript, and duplexing.

14. kschendel macrumors 6502a

Another vote for the Brother laser multifunction. My wife had one at her desk at her last job and it was reliable, consistent, and relatively quiet. The DCP-L2520W should have all the features you want and the price is reasonable. I think the 2740 includes fax.

If you decide you need color, the Brother color printers are OK too. I've had good luck with a canon MF8280, which also has the usual features (scan, fax, copy, wireless, airprint, etc).

15. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

That was the one I was going to buy until I found out that the color printer from the same company is only $60 more. I thought price will at least triple for the color one.

If you can get laser printers for $150-200, then the myth that laser is more expensive than ink is dead. I recall B/W laser printers were $238 and color will reach $480.

you see this adds more to the confusion, the Brother printer you suggested has a scanner but its cheaper than the one I was going to buy without a scanner. The printers business is hard to understand.

As for colored photographs, I thought people went to pro-shops to print those and didn't do them at home unless you want to print 1 picture once in a while.

16. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Many laser printers come with what's known as "starter" toner cartridges now. They can only print a very limited number of pages before you need to go out and purchase replacement toner. Therefore, it's a good idea to factor in the cost of toner when you do your comparison shopping.

17. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

thanks I will look into it, the HL3170CDW sound like a good deal

18. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I don't think I've ever heard any users complain about Brother laser printers. I think you will be happy with your choice. Good luck!