Non Unibody Dropped MBP Edge Craxking, Advice needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InfernoUk, Jan 13, 2011.

1. InfernoUk macrumors 6502

Hey guys, i got a dropped MBP for free as the HDD was dead, replaced the HDD and its going strong, however recently i noticed an increasing crack in the back joint of the case. I think this is due to a bent piece of metal forcing it apart, i just push it closed and it seems to go back and then happens again later on. Anything i can do ? or just drop damage ? i just dont want it to get worse.

Here are 2 pics of the damage to see if anyone has any ideas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers

2. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

3. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Well you could have a 3rd party repair facility do a repair, but it is going to be fairly expensive. I don't think that Apple themselves would do much for you b/c they will say that it is user damage, as you already know. From the looks of your picture, it is a pre-unibody mbp, circa 2007? I had one of these machines and they are really great, so it may be worth a trip to Apple just to have them give you an idea of what a repair may cost. They also offer a depot repair for about $325(I don't remember the exact amount), that basically would repair anything within the machine that is defective, although I don't think that this would cover user caused defects.

So I would start by going to Apple and seeing what they can do for you. If you don't get anywhere, I would do a web search for a 3rd party Apple certified repair shop and contact them.