Non Unibody MBP weird OS X glitch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snaky69, Sep 12, 2010.

1. snaky69 macrumors 603

Hard to say exactly what caused it, I've had this baby for nearly 3 years now and it is still running strong.

I used the computer all day long without issue, waking it and sleeping it as I needed it for schoolwork.

When I came back home, I plugged it back in to the power, and to my external display.

The screen flashed blue, like it always does, and my external turned on and displayed the same color. Then the fun started.

The desktop just never came back. I figured what the heck, and hard rebooted it.

I got it to the login screen, logged in(both screens are working fantastic at that point) and opened up a quicktime movie, dragged it to the external, and put it in full screen. When I tried pressing play, the computer froze, quicktime quit itself with no error message, and the computer in general became unresponsive. Not a single app would open, not even activity monitor and the finder bar on the top of the screen started flickering, coming and going in about 1 second intervals. I unplugged my external screen, the MBP's screen became blue, with the spinning wheel of death, then just blue, then with the spinning wheel. I eventually said f-it and hard rebooted again.

Now I'm typing this wondering what the hell is wrong with my machine.(typing on it as we speak) I'm running all known scripts known to man using Onyx, SMART status checks out, the HD is still fairly new(bought it in june i think). I find this all very weird, help?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Run the Apple Hardware Test by inserting the OS X DVD and holding D on boot.

3. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

For some reason I don't think it's the hardware, but it doesn't hurt to try.

4. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I've used OnyX to do these maintenance stuff one time and it messed the system up. It could be that you have the 8600M GT (which Apple replaces free).

5. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

No the graphics card isn't failing. It doesn't show any video artifacts and the hardware test came out clean. The computer is running like a champ right now.

6. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603