Non-User Replacable Battery vs User Replacable RAM and HDD? I don't get it...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Synergie, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Synergie macrumors 6502a

What is Apple's reasoning behind allowing RAM and HDD to be user replaceable... but not the battery?

To change out RAM and the hard drive, it requires just as much effort (and by effort, I mean unscrewing a few screws and unplugging the ribbon connector)

Why do they allow RAM and the HDD to be considered user- replaceable and not the battery? I just don't get it...

And if I am beyond warranty date, since my MBP is no longer covered, should I just do it myself? Are the replacement batteries easy to find online? (I have NO worries actually changing out the battery myself, what I am more worried about is the quality of aftermarket batteries - I don't want anything with sub-par battery life, and/or something that will blow up in my MBP!)

I don't need to replace the battery yet... but while I was already inside the case changing out RAM I just noticed how simple it would be to change the battery on my own. When the time comes... should I fork out 139 to have them do it? (My only concern is I don't want to ship the computer away or be without it for several days) or should I just order a battery from a hopefully reputable source online and do it myself??

What would you do??

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I don't believe you can buy the built-in batteries online. I believe it also requires some special screwdriver. I'd just take it to an apple store and have them replace it, it should be pretty quick.

3. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Some MBP have torx in the battery, and some have try-wing. Mine is try-wing. And you can get the screwdrivers online.

I know you CAN get the batteries online... I just don't know who is reputable and who isn't.

If they can do it locally while I wait (I refuse to leave my computer over night, or even worse - for a few days for a whopping 10 min job), I will probably just get them to do it locally. But if they want me leaving it for several days... then I will probably research more for somewhere reputable to do it myself.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd probably just get it from Apple anyway. I haven't heard anything good about 3rd party batteries. I do believe they will do it while you wait.

5. cinematicme macrumors member

cinematicme

If my macbook pro (pre-unibody) shows anything be prepared to spend $129 or more.

(mine was almost $140 after tax)

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I wouldn't get a 3rd party battery unless my laptop is old enough that apple doesn't offer original battery replacements.

7. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's listed as 139.00 + tax on the Apple Canada website for battery replacement at any of the local service providers (for either 13" or 15" MBP). We have quite a few Mac service providers here (Halifax NS area) so I am sure at least ONE of them will do it while I wait.... I hope LOL

For now, my battery is still getting over 6 hrs on a full charge (with 75% screen brightness and WiFi enabled) iStat lists battery health at 96% so I think I am good for awhile yet :)

Ok so I'll leave the battery up to them (seems most of the cost is the actual battery anyway and not the service) It just irks me though to pay someone like 25.00+ for 10 mins work that I could easily do myself :p

25.00 - That's how much they were gonna charge me to change out my RAM.... it took me all of 7 mins to do on my own at home! And most of that was removing the screws on the back... and replacing them again.

8. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Changing the battery on your own would void the warranty as far a I know. The reason they didn't make it user replaceable is so they can my sure the battery will be properly recycled I think.
    I would really not recommend a third party battery. The original ones on the unibodies deliver exceptional performance and durability. I've seen no battery with such a long lifetime.

9. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Canada 15" CA$199 pre taxes 13" CA$139 pre taxes

United States 15" $179 pre taxes 13" $129 pre taxes

10. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Well, that is the main reason why Apple believes the battery shouldn't be user-replaceable. If you try and replace RAM or HDD and it turns out you have bought a faulty unit, no harm will be done to your computer. If, on the other hand, you buy a faulty battery and it overheats, catches fire or explodes, your entire computer will be ruined.

11. cinematicme macrumors member

cinematicme

It's because the battery has an embedded micro-controller with a Smart Battery System, the actual battery itself doesn't cost that much.

12. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hahaha this irks me too! It's 129 USD and 139 CA.... but..... our dollar is worth MORE than the US dollar now!!! What's up with that?? LOL

129 USD is actually 123 CA right now (going by the current exchange rates!) That's a 16.00 rip off! :(

Sure it doesn't cost 16.00 per battery extra shipping to get it into Canada... especially when they buy them in bulk!!