OS Neutral Non-violent recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by NikkiJayne, Jul 1, 2014.

1. NikkiJayne macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

Hi guys,

looking for some new games to play that don't involving fighting and killing (I'm a wuss and such situations stress me out in games!). Both Mac and PC games are ok.

Any suggestions?

2. jeanlain macrumors 65816

I really liked portal 2. All my other games have some degree of violence.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'm not that into violent games either. I usually play other games on my console (PS4), but on the Mac I enjoy Portal or Portal 2, Football Manager, Papers Please, Civilisation V, and a bunch of short games like Flight Control and The Incident.

Many people I know also love Minecraft, but I could never really get into it.

4. SingularityG macrumors 6502

SingularityG

Simcity 4

Machinarium

The Movies

A Long Way Home

Thomas was Alone

The Novelist

Splice

Osmos

Nyan Cat Lost in Space (hell yeah!)

5. Bertrude, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

Bertrude macrumors member

Bertrude

I's also recommend 'Portal 1 + 2'. They're both wonderful and a bit head scratching at times. The dialogue is really amusing too. I don't know if the Mac version of Portal 2 has split screen co-op (I played in on an Xbox 360) but it adds an amazing dimension to it all and is very rewarding if you can find someone to play it with.

'Trine 1 + 2' on Steam are also very good co-op games, and can be played solo too. They do involve some violence though, but that said they're more about platforming and physics-based puzzle solving than anything else. Also very enjoyable with a friend.

Another game I really enjoy is 'Little Racers Street' (also on Steam). It's a retro-ish top down/isometric style racing game that for some reason is just really good fun. It's not too complicated, is great for short blasts and just has something really good about it. It should appeal to those who remember older games such as Skidmarks, Super Sprint, Super Off Road Racer and Mashed etc. No weapons though, just simple fun racing.

Finally I'd mention 'Worms Special Edition' (Mac App Store). It is violent, incredibly so at times but it's in a cartoony way and is really a turn based strategy game of sorts. Again, great if you have someone to play against, especially when you've used up (or disabled) the more powerful weapons. 4 player mayhem is also fun.

PS. I forgot to mention 'Fez' (Steam). It's a non-violent exploration/puzzle/platformer with a lovely soundtrack and retro graphics. It has a lot of charm.

6. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Gone Home

Gone Home is a first-person adventure/exploration game. I absolutely adored it! I say that not only as someone who loves a good story, but also a longtime gamer. It tells a story about a teenage girl who's been keeping a secret from her parents. It deals with themes and social issues gently, focusing more on the subtleties of family relationships and how they relate to personal identity. Characters come to life as you explore their documents and personal spaces (quite voyeuristically, I might add). Definitely pick this one up if you get a chance.

7. theluggage macrumors 68030

Portal - non-violent?

GLaDOS begs to differ - as does your faithful Weighted Companion Cube. And what about all those poor turrets?

You monster. ;)

(Seriously:while its far, far less violent than typical games, Portal involves quite a lot of violence against inanimate objects... and then tries to make you feel bad about it.)

8. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I'd add antichamber to this list. Kinda somewhat similar to portal in that it's a first person "shooter" puzzle game. The art style is really cool as well. Definitely worth checking out, absolutely zero violence.

9. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

gone home was a good non-violent game
    Don't know what genre it would be classified as... first person kind of a mystery game

10. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

World of Goo was very good.

Limbo was too (well, there's some minimal killing... no fighting... some violence, mainly when you mess up your character might die violently. But it's mainly a very good platform puzzler)

11. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Both of those are seconded.

Excellently made, and addictively fun.

12. happygodavid macrumors member

happygodavid

I recently came back to gaming after taking a decade off, so I'm with ya on the quest to find non-violent, less "intense" games.

Here's my two cents:

Steam is a good place for purchasing games.

I second the assessment of Portal being a bit intense. It is a great game, though.

Here are games I've enjoyed that fit your criteria:
    Minecraft is amazing, once you get into it (better if you have someone play it with you and explain it).
    Braid
    Don't Starve
    FEZ
    Gone Home
    Limbo (violent player deaths, but super fun)
    Monaco
    Mark of the Ninja (cartoon-like violence, but an amazing platformer)
    Trine 1 & 2

If you're looking for a first person shooter type, I hear that Bioshock Infinite is less intense/violent/evil than the first two, but I haven't played it yet. (I'm queazy; I couldn't handle the first Bioshock. Way too intense.) Perhaps others can comment on whether or not Infinite would be okay.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

14. rixax macrumors member

rixax

Non violent games

Machinarium

The Tiny Bang Story

Great games, beautiful graphics and lovely music.

15. EmaDaCuz macrumors regular

Limbo
    Machinarium
    Botanicula
    Bastion
    and my new fave, Plague Inc: Evolved.

If you like more Might and Magic like stuff, I would give Warlock a try.

16. TCrowe macrumors member

TCrowe

I'm an adventure gamer if I play anything at all. Myst is one that I loved. Actually, the whole series. When I got my Mac Pro I could find few, if any, adventure type games for Unix or even Mac OS. Still looking and any recommendations are appreciated. I like the puzzles and the "finding objects to put together" type stuff. Being a Vietnam combat vet I don't need, nor want, any shoot'em ups. Been there, done that and still trying to get over it.

17. 960design macrumors 68020

I didn't see Minecraft in Creative mode mentioned. Years of entertainment. Redstone alone could keep you entertained for months.

18. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Adventure games! Forgot to mention in my previous post.

The Book of Unwritten Tales, and it's sequel, Critter Chronicles, are both top-notch fun.

19. TCrowe macrumors member

TCrowe

Well, thanks guys and ladies I appreciate the responses. Will look into your suggestions.

20. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

As to infinite: Fantastic game, mind bending story line. I wouldn't recommend it to someone trying to find something nonviolent though. I mean the first like 20 minutes you get a grappling hook that you put into someone's he's and run it into their head. Infinite is definitely different than the first two, but IMO I wouldn't say it's less violent (probably more gun fights actually) but it's definitely brighter and a less morbid atmosphere. Absolutely beautiful game though. The whole series is just a masterpiece IMHO.

21. SingularityG macrumors 6502

SingularityG

Vlad the Impaler seems interesting enough. Just released on steam.:)