Non-Wireless PC and Printer, MacBook Pro. Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BreakGuy, Nov 23, 2009.

1. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I'm thinking about buying a MacBook Pro (and Airport Extreme). At the moment we also have a non-wireless printer and non-wireless PC.

I need to know how I can set up a system so that I can use the printer and browse the internet wirelessly on the MacBook Pro and have the non-wireless PC connect to the internet and use the printer as well.

It sounds confusing, so hopefully one of you guys will be able to understand it and maybe quickly draw a labeled diagram to show me.

All answers would be greatly appreciated.

-BreakGuy

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Just a suggestion, make the PC wireless. If it's a tower with PCI or PCI-e slots you can install a wireless card.

If you have no idea what a PCI slot is, I'll tell you now it's about as easy to install as the filter in your AC unit. Slide it in, close it up.

3. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I don't know what a PCI slot is. Please tell me.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Nothing more than an upgrade-ready slot. Is your machine a tower?

If so, look into it, if it sounds like something you're not comfortable with you can hire the neighbor kid or someone who has a little experience for a piece of taffy.

Here are 5 PCI slots: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Pci-slots.jpg

5. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Thanks for this, and yes, the PC is a tower. If I install a PCI WIFI card into it, would I be able to opt for an Airport Express instead of an Airport Extreme?

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Well both the Express and Extreme have ethernet ports, if that is the deciding factor.
    Both can be plugged into USB printers so that you can print "wirelessly" as well! This of course requires that the printer can be used by a Mac, if it's HP there's a good chance of that.

Research, Google is loads of help no matter how experienced you are :p

7. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Printer is an HP, and because I'll only be needing one ethernet port and one USB port, the Express looks to be my best option (and it's cheaper too, which is always a bonus).

Thanks for your help MrCheeto. Very much appreciated.