Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnydiaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
So I received a free 2009 Quad Mac Pro but it doesn't work. When I power it up the fans come on and I see a a few lights on the main board but nothing on the screen. Any ideas?

Celedral

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2008
Los Angeles
You can open the case and hear if the hard drive is spinning up. It could be a video card issue or logic board issue. Also might want to check the video cable is inserted correctly or try a different cable and display.

johnnydiaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
You can open the case and hear if the hard drive is spinning up. It could be a video card issue or logic board issue. Also might want to check the video cable is inserted correctly or try a different cable and display.

I tired a new video card and cable but doesnt work. Could be the logic board. What components on the logic board could go bad? What can I check?

Thanks

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
I tired a new video card and cable but doesnt work. Could be the logic board. What components on the logic board could go bad? What can I check?

Thanks

If the logic board is buggered then your not going to fix it.

I'd take the CPU tray out and check all the pins are ok.
Reseat the RAM.

Download the 2009 Mac Pro Apple Repair Guide and follow it through?

johnnydiaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
If the logic board is buggered then your not going to fix it.

I'd take the CPU tray out and check all the pins are ok.
Reseat the RAM.

Download the 2009 Mac Pro Apple Repair Guide and follow it through?

I reseated the ram, cpu and checked all pins. I am hoping to get some help diagnosing to the component level as I have seen in some other threads here.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
I reseated the ram, cpu and checked all pins. I am hoping to get some help diagnosing to the component level as I have seen in some other threads here.

!?

At the component level you need other machines to test in.

If you mean electronic component level then I've never seen it, because it isn't possible!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.