NOOB Advice please... Just bought my first Mac Pro.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DeuceDeuce, May 12, 2008.

?

Which would you get

1. Dell 3008

32.4%
  2. 30inch ACD

67.6%
  1. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

2 2.8ghz Quads
    2 gb Ram
    320gb HD
    8800 graphics card
    Wireless

Now I have to decide between the 3008 Dell and the 30inch ACD. I have read tons of reviews and still cant decide. I probably wont ever use the differnet inputs on the Dell and I love the look of the ACD.

I know this is probably personal perference but I figure a vote off would help.

I will do some occasionaly video editing. Mainly photo editing and ripping DVD's for friends and family.

I dont ever play games of any sort on my computer, I have a console for that.

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

3. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Staring at Beauty

The ACD. Simply for the fact that it's the most drop dead gorgeous monitor EVER made and matches so well with the Apple keyboard and mouse and, of course, the Mac Pro case.

You're paying a premium for it, but being able to stare all day at something so beautiful in its design, is, in my opinion, worth every penny! :cool:

4. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

Personally, I went with the HP LP3065. It was between that and the ACD and when I saw them next to each other, I liked the overall look of the HP better (all that aluminum was distracting on the 30". I use a 23" at work and it's perfectly fine at that size). I like the black edge as it frames the video work better (IMOSHO). Picture-wise, didn't see a difference (same LCD panels) And the price difference met I could buy memory and hard drives...

5. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

Dude! At least wait till June 9th (WWDC) for any new announcements... there may be new ACDs coming. i don't know anything, just been continuous rumors of updates to the ACDs. That's what i am waiting for.

6. DeuceDeuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Alright, I think Im going with the ACD. I just think it looks so flippin pretty and since I will mostly be doing Photo editing stuff it seems like thats the better choice for me at this time.

Thanks for the help everyone.

7. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Good choice my friend! But as OddThomas rightly said, you really should wait until WWDC just in case there is an ACD update. Of course people have been waiting ages for even a rumor on an update so it might not be very likely. But just in case, it's less than a month away. So better to be safe than sorry! :)

8. JonR356 macrumors member

Based on your usage profile, I'd say neither, get 2 x 23" ACDs instead. If you don't need the wow factor of a 30" for gaming, you may well find the screen real estate of 2x23 much more practical.

9. DeuceDeuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Thanks but I want a 30inch for sure. I dont like using two monitors. Not sure why, maybe it reminds me of my past job where I was on two monitors all day long.

10. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Wait & see if there's an update at WWDC, as others have said.

The ACD's are OOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDD and need to be updated.

Apple really really REALLY needs to do something about them.

11. DeuceDeuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Although I dont think the new ACDs are coming at the WWDC I think Im going to wait since the developer Im getting the MP from said he will let me borrow two 19inch monitors for the time being just in case.

This way I get to use my new baby now and still can buy the latest and greatest ACD if that happens next month.