[noob] Are these my options for unlocking? [5.0.1]

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by boyjord, Jan 4, 2012.

1. boyjord macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I think I understand the process involved so much that I want to try jailbreak my iPhone myself, but was wondering if I could get some advice off you guys before I go ahead and potentially damage it! Sometimes I get lost on the terminology and that's what makes me nervous-that there is something about the process that I don't understand.

Heres the deal.
    I bought my iPhone from my friend who had it on the service provider 02 and hadn't 'jailbroken' it. I want to unlock it to use with a different provider. So my first action would be to jailbreak it, right?

I'm not sure on the original OS(?) but now its on 5.0.1.
    Im sure he has updated it from 4.X.X though. just not 100% which.

I am under the impression that there is no unlock for 5.0.1 yet, but I can jailbreak it. So I could jailbreak it and then wait for the unlock release, or alternatively downgrade my software and do it with an older unlock release that's out.

Am I making sense or am I way off?

Also, I don't have the sim for it yet, but the phone has already been set up

Finally, would this process be suitable for me for the jailbreak?
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=19014

Thanks
    -Jordan

2. Doba macrumors newbie

What model phone is it?

Go to Settings>General>About

What does it say for modem firmware and the first 4 digits of the serial number?

3. declandio, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

declandio macrumors 6502

If it's an O2 handset they'll unlock it for you for a small fee. Just call them or fill out the online form

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI...ion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),CASE=17424

If your friend still has an active account with them, they probably won't even charge to unlock it (just get him to call them or fill out the above form). Even if you do end up paying a small fee, it's worth it- you will have a factory unlocked phone forever and won't have to worry about software updates locking it again, preserving basebands and all that other tedious nonsense etc.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You're going to be waiting a long time for a software unlock. There hasn't been a software unlock since when the iphone 4 was released.
    If you can get the O2 unlock as suggested, that'd be your best option.