Noob connecting to an external display, help please

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kettlecorn, Feb 27, 2011.

1. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

I got a minidisplay port to HDMI and plugged my MBP 13 into my 32" LCD tv and it automatically detected 1080p. But the font and lines are very .... not crisp and blurry. When I move the mouse, it moves slow and you can see it trail. When I bring the mouse to my MBP, its normal and the MBP's screen is real smooth.

What seems to be the problem here? My first experience with external display and I don't know if its a settings issues, the connections or my tv or what.
    Anyone have any ideas?

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Try putting your MBP to sleep and then waking it up.

3. kettlecorn, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

kettlecorn thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, here's another problem. Is there any way I can have mirror displays so everything I setup (spaces and window sizes etc) are all the same but when it goes to the TV, it is in 1080p? If i click mirror display, it says the only useable resolution is 1280X800 which defeats the purpose of an external display. I'd like a really large resolution without having to have it detect it as "2 displays" where I have to move all my stuff over to the larger screen. How it works with "spaces" I have no idea.

Actually i tried sleep and wake, thanks! partial fix. The "lagging" mouse and cursor, typing, etc. stopped. But the font is still very .... grainy. Colors aren't bad just the font.

Cliff notes:

1) grainy font in 1080p but otherwise good.

2) no AUDIO. this is a deal breaker. I need audio and the ebay seller said that it supports audio for the miniDisplay to HDMI. Is there anything in the settings I need to change cause the sound only plays on my MBP.

4. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Have you tried to set the resolutions up using Displays under System Preferences?

5. Surely Guest

Surely

What year is your MBP? I believe that any model prior to 2010 doesn't support audio through the miniDisplay port.

I have a late 2009 MBP, and I have an audio cable connected from my MBP to my external display for sound.

6. kettlecorn thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah i set up the resolution. And I figured out the spaces thing. There's 2 displays for each "space". It's nuts.

I have a 2010 MBP. I'm starting to think maybe the miniDisplay to HDMI is faulty and that it doesn't truly support audio. But I'm not exactly sure if thats the reason why I'm not getting audio.

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

mirror mode puts the same thing on both displays, at the same time, which is why your resolution options are not what you want, it's giving you something that will play with both.

do you want just the external? if you have a keyboard and mouse, you can use clamshell mode.

also check your refresh rate, it should be 60Hz, if i adjust mine down it gets weird looking on the text.

8. kettlecorn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, yeah I will be using just the external so clamshell seems the best option. Stupid fonts and grainy texture..
    maybe i just need a true monitor and not a tv?

9. simsaladimbamba

Yes, as a TV is not meant for displaying static images like a GUI, but for moving images or pictures.

As you have a 32" TV with 1920 x 1080 pixel, imagine the blowup compared to the 21.5" iMac with the same resolution.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I just want to point out that you should be connecting your MBP to an external display, not your noob. Connecting your noob to an external display can be painful and embarrassing. :D

11. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I agree. 32" display is too large for such a low resolution unless it is to just watch videos. I have two 27" and one 30" monitor, and they support 2560 X 1440 and 2560 X 1600 respectively.

My suggestion for people wanting to buy a television as a monitor is to keep the screen size small... 22" or so. As far as I know, there are no TVs higher than 1080P which is not very good as a computer monitor.

/Jim

12. simsaladimbamba

As 1080p is currently the largest broadcast TV resolution, we have to wait for the reversed VHS: http://www.pcworld.com/article/132289/researchers_craft_hdtvs_successor.html

13. kettlecorn thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha awesome, thanks all. I think I'll just pick up a computer monitor or deal with the font issue and work from far away. Probably not good to look at a tv so up close as you would a computer monitor anyway.

14. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

kettle,

before you buy a new monitor, you might want to see if your TV is adding any post-processing on the video stream. If it is, turn it all off.

Also, if the TV has either DVI or VGA, maybe try those ports as they're meant for computers and probably have all of the fancy processing turned off.