noob guitar player

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by retrorichie, Jul 26, 2011.

1. retrorichie macrumors member

Hey y'all... I picked up the guitar about 8-9 months ago and was hoping to mess around some in garage band. I was looking online and it looks like to connect to the MBA I need a USB interface. Any recommendations for something relatively inexpensive that gets the job done without too many frills and thrills?

2. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

You could just get a 1/4 to 1/8 converter and plug it into the mic. Probably sound just as good cheap USB device would.

3. retrorichie thread starter macrumors member

MBA only has a headphone jack though. And from what I have been reading online, a pre-amp is pretty much required (or so people would have me believe). It is all very confusing :)

4. luked14 macrumors 6502

You can plug a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter into the headphone jack and go into sound settings in system preferences and change "Use audio port for" to Sound Input.

5. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

I've had moderate success recording straight from my guitar. Of course it didn't sound great but unless you spend the money I don't think it will. I suppose it depends on your goals, are you just trying to play around for your own amusement or to share your music with friends? Then I think the adapter will save you some money and be sufficient. If you are trying to produce higher quality stuff then you'll have to spend a decent amount of money.

6. retrorichie thread starter macrumors member

Awesome, that is what I have been looking for. All the stuff on Amazon like that was reviewed like crap. I see on Sweetwater that this is reviewed well--albeit with only 2 reviews. But I'll take your recommendation as a 3rd review.

7. retrorichie thread starter macrumors member

Blarg, it's preorder everywhere. Not out yet?

8. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a