Noob Hard Disk errors

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gillustration, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Gillustration macrumors newbie

Imac OSX 10.5, started getting allot of the pinwheel.. know next to nothing about this IMac, just use it for photo's/artwork/Safari/Gmail/CL.

Googled problem, found Disk Utility..Do I need to insert start up disks to do that? Did it without 'em and Mac goes to Blk. screen before it finishes (both on verify/repair) It shows a bunch of errors!?!.

I got OnyX and it starts out saying "volume error" and that I better back up..
    How do I do that? (get a 500gig ex. HD?)

IMac runs pretty fast other than typing/surfing.

I'm a lost and clueless noob..

Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Could you try that again, more slowly and using complete sentences?

3. Gillustration thread starter macrumors newbie

Noob hard disk error

Yeah, no stress here while typing my dissertation... aarrgghh!! I lost 2 posts that took about an hour to compose (pinwheel hell) before resorting to "incomplete sentences"... I'll try again.
    My IMac (2.4 GHz Core 2, 1GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM) started running real slow after having a power supply and cable replaced. The fans would always run before this was done, and it ran fine for about a week before I started getting allot of pinwheel action.

I am clueless as to almost everything on my computer and am just learning where things are and what to do etc. I was able to build my website on it though(www.marcgill.com), and mainly use it for Iphoto and Safari. I began researching pinwheel problems and actually "found" my HD on the desk top(prime example of HOW clueless..lol) and attempted to run Disk Utility on Verify and on Repair, it crashed to black screen before finishing both. I did see a bunch of errors on it before it would crash. From Mroogle I'm thinking Back up now, and am not sure how to do this. I'm thinking about getting a external HD for this. I found my start disks, should I back up before installing them and running Disk Utility? The only big concern is loosing my scanned artwork on IPhoto and my mail. I installed OnyX and it starts running and says I have a volume error and that I need to back up before going any further.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your patience :)

4. Gillustration thread starter macrumors newbie

Noobular Tubular

So which ex.HD do I get for 100$? I know I need to do this NOW!! The funny thing is that when I go to apple help and begin to read how to back-up the Safari CRASHES!! lol... and I swear it knows I'm trying to fix it and it won't let me (2001 space odyssey.."Dave, what are you doing Dave?").

Backup Noobular advice is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks.

P.S. I'm getting LOTS of pinball in now.. thanks to the pinwheel :D

5. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

If you dont wana blow a hundred bucks, see if you can borrow a friends external. Running disk utility shouldn't make you lose your files but its a good idea to back up.

6. Gillustration thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Gillustration thread starter macrumors newbie

Noobular "not so" Tubular

So I figured out how to run DU off start up disk (boy was I proud of ole' Noob!) Next the bummer: HD says it cannot be fixed.. with errors of "invalid sibling link", " " node structure", "volume check failed". I then tried to run OnyX and it ran but my "craputer" is still in pinwheel "double-toothpicks"... (frowny face squared).
    I'm now thinking of eraseing everything and doing a reinstall from original start disks... is there a way I can do this and keep some or most of my settings etc.? There is nothing on there that I couldn't stand to loose, so I'm not concerned with the back-up until I get this thing cleaned out and running right.
    Should I take it to Apple and let them dial it in? what am I looking at there cost wise? is this something I could do myself or with phone support..'er what?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated:confused:

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Sounds like your hard disk is failing. That's no surprise-- they're always a matter of when, not if. It's why I'm such a beast for backing up.

Replacing a hard disk is inexpensive and can be done by any reasonably adept tinkerer. www.iFixit.com is a good place to start to look at what's involved and to help guide you to purchase a good drive that's compatible with your model. With several Macbook Pros and Powerbooks in the family, I've acquired some experience at the task. My first time took me about 40 minutes; now I can git 'er done in about 20, not including reformatting and restoration. I just get my drives at the local Fry's, but they're cheaper online.

I do hope you have a good recent backup of your hard disk. You might also find the free Dropbox utility to be useful-- it sets up a 2GB space on the Dropbox server for you and puts a folder on your Mac; anything you put into the folder gets automatically replicated up to the server, where it is versioned so you can return to previous versions if you ever need to. I routinely keep my current-work files in my Dropbox so they're continuously backed up. A bonus is if you have multiple machines; the Dropbox on each will always have identical, current copies of your work on them. Recommended. Signing up at https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTQ3NzczNjk will get you a free account and give me a little referral-bonus space in mine.

Good luck!

9. complexcommunic macrumors regular

10. Gillustration thread starter macrumors newbie

Noob hard disk error

Magic Mac Ferries visited me last night!!! (smiley face squared). My Mac runs killer!!!! How can this be!?!, yesterday I was ready to erase and start over.
    I did have to replace a power supply, and cord a week before this began and kinda figured the heat could have caused allot of these problems. I also downloaded an HP update by mistake late one night thinking it was Mac.
    The ONLY other thing that I noticed when I got pinwheel hell was a clicking noise that I could here from the router/Lynksys when I would type...NOW the clicking is GONE and my formerly named "Craputer" is good as new:D:D
    I'm on DSL extreem, and never heard that clicking until "pinwheel H".

Could a messed up router do that?? I read something about it and unplugged and reset the router when I was searching for answers.. it did not help but today no clicking and Mac runs GREAT. I use my airport and there are 4 networks to choose, the problem is I forgot original set up info and am not sure if I'm on right line.. is there a way to figure/reset my password? because I'm wondering if someone else is on my line or I'm on the wrong line.

What about the HD errors? I'm kinda afraid to go back in there because everything is working smoothly.

Thanks for helping me with this, I appreciate all of your suggestions:eek:

11. Gillustration thread starter macrumors newbie

noob hard disk error

Omit last entry.... Pinwheel Hell back.
    Just tied to turn machine back on and got "forever" grey/blue screen before it would boot up (1/2hr.).. BIG FROWNY FACE.

I'm an idiot as I thought it fixed itself.. lol.

If I take it to Mac can they fix it? Geek Squad?

Any sugestions? as I'm at witts end..:mad:

Thanks