Noob help on hardware/software

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by chug, Jun 15, 2007.

1. chug macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm a college student planning to get an SR macbook pro soon and i am doing some amatuer video editing -- event videos and some school videos and i plan on moving into some video podcasting.

I was wondering what's a good and cheap step up from iMovie? Also, what would be a good video cam to shoot some progressive video? erm like 480p or EDTV? or erm no such camera exists? (i just know that there are interlaced and progressive all those sizes for tv's yadda yadda yadda) but im not aware of those ratings for video cams aside from the HD ones.

I'm currently using this old prosumer sony from school, 3ccd thing but i think its still interlaced and sometimes the video has some distortion on the lines so yeah i kinda deduced it must be interlacing (tho i am probably wrong.)

oh yeah and a decent mic too for interviews and action shots (like sport events)

yeah i'm hoping for too much considering i'm on a budget but yeah any advice would greatly help. =)

thanks guys.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Best cheap and good step up from iMovie? Final Cut Express

It's the same exact interface as Final Cut Pro, but just lacks some of the more advanced features. Great editor for amateurs who don't need the film tools/advanced features of Final Cut Pro. It's only $149 with your education discount.

3. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I'll second FCE Express, the learning curve is somewhat steep, but worth it.

4. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

Getting to 24p is gonna cost you. When I bought my camera I valued 24p higher than HD. I went with the Panasonic DVX 100B and have been very happy with it. It is probably out of your budget though. Most 24p camera's are going to be.

Remember - it isnt so much the camera you are using as it is the shots you are getting. Get a camera you know how to use and are ok with. There is no point in getting some fancy camera with manual focus, iris, shutter, and speed controls if you don't know how to use them.

I have made consumer camera's work on pro jobs. I did a video with a SWAT team and they were laughing when I brought my little handheld (~$400) camera on the scene. Ya know what though? It didnt matter cause it gave me better shots than the days when I was using a XL-1 or GL-2.

5. chug thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply guys,

just a few questions: is final cut express universal binary? oh and with the release of final cut studio, will they be releasing a new version of the express?

still waiting for more hardware comments =) thanks

6. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

FCE is UB. FCE 3.5 came out not too long ago (maybe 1 year?) so I think FCE 4 is at least another 6 mos out. But upgrading is cheap - usually only $50.

7. slinky0390 macrumors regular

well, what's your budget first of all.. you gotta figure software alone is going to run you around 200 dollars if you are using an edu discount, 300 if you arent. a 24p camera is probably way out of your budget, however, the canon gl2 shoots in a 30 full frame mode which is essentially 30p.. thatll run you 1500 if you opt to buy a used one.

8. banjomamo macrumors regular

fyi - cheap is subjective in the video world. check out the dv rebels guide on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/DV-Rebels-Guide-All-Digital-Approach/dp/0321413644.

it will teach how to get really great looking content on an indie budget. yes its geared for making actual movies but youll learn techniques that will save you hours of frustration and headaches later on down the road - trust me.

the canon hv20 can shoot 24p at 1080p resolution and you can get it for around a grand on amazon. its one of the best prosumer cams out there - especially for the price. as far as mics go, you would need one for the interview type and a diff one for the sports. id say get the interview mic and let the mic on the camera pick up the sports sounds. typically sports stuff is recorded with a shotgun mic. interview mic could be a lavallier mic or dynamic handheld, it really depends on how you plan on working. if youll be in more of a studio environment you could use a condenser mic.

learn some of the terminology and usage stuff on mics here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone

then go check out bhphotovideo.com and see the wide varities in types and brands and price ranges. and i dont think the hv20 has xlr inputs so youll probably need to find something kinda low end unless you spring for a higher end cam.

and final cut express is def the way to go unless you can spring for the edu version of final cut studio. youll also want an external drive for all this video youre gonna shoot. it will fill up your laptop fast.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You could get one of those breakout boxes you mount under your camera. They usually have 2 XLRs and then plug into the 3.5mm mic jack on the camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/335809-REG/Beachtek_DXA2S_DXA_2S_Dual_XLR.html

You could probably find a cheaper one if you search more.

10. chug thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm again, thanks for the response guys.
    i think i got it locked on to final cut express hd

but i'm still not sure about which camera... i'm not really in the need of a 24p 1080p cam... just need a cam that shoots decent 480p? is tehre such a thing now?

or as someone said, will a good 480p camera be more expensive than the new hd camera's around now?