Noob Here: Please Help Me Configure a New Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gfhoward, Oct 6, 2009.

1. gfhoward macrumors member

Hey guys, I'd like to buy a Mac Pro for video purposes. I've configured one on the Apple website but have some questions for ya'll before I pull the trigger.

1) I'm using my education discount to buy from the Apple site, and I like the ability to configure, but if there is a better place to buy from let me know

2) I'm ordering the single quad-core. Is the double really that much faster and worth the extra dough?

3) I have it set-up for 6GB of RAM. Is that a good amount or any reason to do another amount?

4) Is the Video card upgrade to the ATI 4870 worth it and better than the other one?

5) I'd rather not pay for three years of Apple Care, but is it worth it?

And any other tips you can give me before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

2. Bagot69 macrumors member

With ordering a machine with all those upgrades i would only trust Apple Retailer to do it no matter what the price!

3. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

1) You could buy Apple Developer Student Package for 100 bugs and then get your Mac Pro for around 20% discount. You only can do this once. You need to be a student.

2) There are many threads about that in this Forum. For rendering, the 8 Core is faster because it will use all cores if the programm u use supports multicore. A 2.66 / 2.93 ghz quadcore will be faster than a 2.26 ghz 8 core in singlecore applications.

3) 6GB is good, more is always better. You have three RAM slots to upgrade in the Quad-Core Model, and six in the 8 Core Model. So you can have more RAM's in a 8-Core Model

4) I would recommend a ATI 4870 or EVGA 285 GTX

5) It is worth it, you can also buy your apple care after buying your Mac Pro, but you need to buy it before your one year guarantee expires. Mac Pro peripherals are very expensive.

Make sure you got fast harddrives. This is very useful for Videos (loading huge files in a small range of time). I recommend a RAID 0 system with Backup.

4. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I actually have pretty much the exact system you are talking about and looking to sell it now. If you look in my sig you can see the specs. I used it mainly for video work and the 2.66 Quad, (now 6GB Ram) was more than enough and the ATI 4870 is GREAT! I just will not be doing too much more video work in the future so I am going to sell it for a new iMac when they come out. It will suit my new needs better.

5. davidlv macrumors 65816

RAM slots

The current 4 core model has 4 ram slots, the 8 core has 8. ;)

6. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

Right:)

7. gfhoward thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, keep it coming. jfriedman, can you contact me? You don't have any contact info listed on file. I might be interested in your system. Please send me all specs to skyoverland (at) gmail.com Thanks