noob iphone question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by evillageprowler, Jul 14, 2008.

1. evillageprowler macrumors regular

Folks,

Sorry to ask what is probably a very basic question... With the new iPhone (3G), can I turn off WiFi+EDGE+3G and still use the device just for its basic voice capability?

In other words, I want to mostly use the device as if it has no data plan/capability. But, I want to enable that feature only when I want/need to.

(I've never owned a smart phone of any model/make before...)

TIA,

EVP

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You live in the U.S. You get an unlimited data plan.

No, you can't turn it all off. Since you want to use it occasionally anyway, there's really no need to do so.

3. evillageprowler thread starter macrumors regular

No, you can't turn it all off.

So there's no way for me to try to conserve battery?

EVP

4. D3lta macrumors 6502a

You can turn off 3G and Wi-Fi. But you can't turn off EDGE.

5. eviltobz macrumors member

aeroplane mode will turn all radio stuff off, including normal phone. wifi and 3g can be turned off independantly and the normal 2g/edge stuff is the minimum used to operate as a phone, but it doesn't stay permanently connected, so unless you are on the phone or downloading stuff it won't be draining the battery very hard.

6. evillageprowler thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to eviltobz and D3lta. My birthday is in a few days, and my wife told me that I should get it since I seem to want it so badly. I already own an IPT, so I am very concerned about not seriously impacting my basic cell phone capability.

I hate to say this in this forum, but I'm also eyeing the Nokia N95 8G (somewhat pricier) and the as yet unreleased N96 (much more expensive). With the Nokia phones, I think my battery concerns are the same.

EVP