Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclovin'

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Amherstburg, Ontario
I have been wanting an iPhone since I first saw them way back when they were first announced. When the iPod touch was released, it served as a perfect substitute for me becasue at the time I didn't really need a phone. Now with the iPhone 3G it's got me even more interested, but unfortunately, I don't have the cash to pay $60/month for a plan.

So my question is: is it possible to buy an iPhone 3G, and not activate it with Rogers? If it is, is there any way to get a data plan(I don't know which data plan, I'm thinking hypothetically), and use the 3G network and VOIP for phone calls?

I want an iPhone sooooo bad, but I can't pay for/justify spending $300 for the phone, and then $720 over the course of a year for the plan. Can someone help me out?

Thanks

Brandon Heat

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
you'll need more than $60 a month to run an iphone 3g... the data plan + minutes plan...

yeah, you can buy one without a plan... but it will be WAY more than $300...

maclovin'

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Amherstburg, Ontario
you'll need more than $60 a month to run an iphone 3g... the data plan + minutes plan...

yeah, you can buy one without a plan... but it will be WAY more than $300...

The $60/month plan from Rogers(in Canada) comes with 250 anytime minutes and 1GB/month data.

How would accessing the 3G network work without a plan(or would it). You say they can be purchased without a plan, but how could I use VOIP? Very noobish I know, but I appreciate the response.

ucsdmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
The $60/month plan from Rogers(in Canada) comes with 250 anytime minutes and 1GB/month data.

How would accessing the 3G network work without a plan(or would it). You say they can be purchased without a plan, but how could I use VOIP? Very noobish I know, but I appreciate the response.

my advice is that if you cant afford it then dont buy it. The 3g iphone has not been unlocked yet so you cant use it outside of the network that its tied to. f you wanna use VoiP.. Fring has just been released so I think thats your best shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.