Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Ok I have an iPad 2 I know that it cannot be jailbreak yet I'm just taking steps forward

But I do have some questions.

1) even doubt I read a lot on the net I can't understand what shsh blobs are and what are there for

All I know is that I have to save them before jailbreak.

So I have to do like

1) updagrade to official apple iOS version x.x.x
2) save my blobs
3) upgrade to custom iOS x.x.x
Then rest my blobs????

Thanks and sorry for then question

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Shsh blobs can be saved whether you are jailbroken or not. Apple will only provide them to you for the current firmware version for your device. If you don't have shsh blobs saved for a previous firmware version then you will not be able to revert to that firmware version. You also wouldn't be able to do a restore on your current firmware version if a newer release was available.
You can save them by using Tinyumbrella, which I would assume would work on the iPad 2. If you are jailbroken you can also save them using Cydia. The advantage of saving them now is if a jailbreak came out that only worked on 4.3.3 became available and you had already upgraded to a future release (like iOS 5).

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
But shsh only works for firmware?

Example I get my shsh blob today and tomorrow I install 2 apps do I need to save them again???

Also when I tried to save my on my iPad iy said you are too late

Am I stuck???

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Yes it is only for the firmware version. The only one you can save is the most recent firmware version, so you will not be able to restore to an older version you don't have them saved for. You don't need to do anything when you install apps.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Ok and what can the error from tiny umbrella means.

You cannot save the shsh blobs you are too late

Like I said I am on 4.3.3

reddead

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
i have some questions too

if i jailbreaked and then upgrade my firmware;will i lose all my aaps and data?

Sent from my GT-I5801 using Tapatalk

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Tinyumbrella checks for older firmwares as well, so it is telling you those are no longer available. If it is the first time you used it then only 4.3.3 will be available. You will be able to restore to 4.3.3 in the future.
reddead: If you jailbreak and upgrade you will only lose the apps you installed from Cydia. I believe there is something you can buy that will save everything from Cydia (package backup?) but I usually just reinstall my jailbreak apps because there aren't many I use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.